Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Partner K950 14" saw off eBay a couple of months ago. It was used but ran "decently" for the $400 I paid for it.

I used it for two projects (limited use) and it crapped out in the middle of cutting a slab yesterday.

Brought it to a VERY GOOD 2-stroke place and they took apart and told me what we both thought...scored piston on the exhaust side.

I can buy a new piston and cylinder for $200 and replace it, OR, I chuck the saw (which I've used twice) and drop $700+ on a new saw.

I don't know how good the old saw will be even with a new piston and cylinder. Will it be "good as new"? I don't know????

Opinions please.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just talked to the guy and he says it's about 3 hours of labor to fix it at $80 per hour. Ugh....Now the decision is even harder to figure out.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Just talked to the guy and he says it's about 3 hours of labor to fix it at $80 per hour. Ugh....Now the decision is even harder to figure out.
I'd sell that one on ebay "as is" and get another one. Or find someone who's willing to repair it for less. It's a saw, not a Mercedes. You can probably find a better deal on the piston/cylinder kit too.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I bought a Partner K950 14" saw off eBay a couple of months ago. It was used but ran "decently" for the $400 I paid for it.

I used it for two projects (limited use) and it crapped out in the middle of cutting a slab yesterday.

Brought it to a VERY GOOD 2-stroke place and they took apart and told me what we both thought...scored piston on the exhaust side.

I can buy a new piston and cylinder for $200 and replace it, OR, I chuck the saw (which I've used twice) and drop $700+ on a new saw.

I don't know how good the old saw will be even with a new piston and cylinder. Will it be "good as new"? I don't know????

Opinions please.
Can you not get the new head and piston and do it your self? im sure you could pick up the parts pretty cheap on line.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you not get the new head and piston and do it your self? im sure you could pick up the parts pretty cheap on line.
The parts are $230.

I just don't know how complicated it will be to do. I have zero experience working on engines of any type.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
x2.:thumbsup:
That's funny!

I knew buying a used cut-off saw was hit or miss since they all have very limited life cycles. I was hoping to get more than 2 jobs out of my $400 investment though!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
a plus is if u do it yourself u gain all this knowledge.on how to change out a jug and piston
And if you bunk it up your out an additional 230 bucks lol.

I'd look around for a better price on the piston, 230 outch!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I can't believe the price of those Partner parts. I have a Stihl TS400 and the cylinder kits can be bought for less than 100.00. I think the Stihl is a much better built saw, too.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Bad gas is usually the main culprit in gas saw issues. I have seen way too many over the years. Synthetic 2 stroke oil also helps to reduce the heat in the air cooled engines.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
A good oil is honda HP2 oil. I use it on my rc 26cc engines that put out over 6hp and can run as high as 21000rpm and i even run it at 32:1 most times. If the oil functions well with them rpms it will run well on any 2 stroke. It's also a good idea to run higher octaine fuel and treat the fuel with sta-bil even if you think you are gonna use it often. Stops the fuel from gelling up and carb from blocking up. Also remember to clean and re-oil the filter often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts