Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or have others seen any shower failures with the system?I had three last year(not that were done by us )the bottom of all three the sheetrock was completely taken over by mold and actually was rotting the studs about 2 ft up.I personally do not use the system but have gotten into a few repairs of them.I still use the pvc liner mud bed,hardi on the walls and waterproof the whole operation.I have done at least 50 or more like this in say 20 years and have never had a callback like what i have seen with the schluder.I was just curious.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
I have yet to see a failure. Next time you run across one call Schulter, they'll look at it let you know what the problem was. I know it was not your install, sometimes it is nice to gain the knowledge.

Tom

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
any pics of these failures? I have repaired dozens of leaky PVC and fiberglass shower pans all over Morris county and have installed quite a few Schluter shower's.

Actually I helped repair a Kerdi shower failure in Livingston last year... The failure was due to a few installer errors such as not leveling the floor before installing foam pan, and probably what was leaving mud open too long and having it skin over (my assumption) and inadequate laps. It's not rocket science to install properly, it even comes with a DVD if your unsure.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I haven't had any issues either, other than someone tried to install kerdi to the fiberglass steam generator housing on a steam shower and the bond failed
:blink:
I neither like nor dislike Schluter (I like Lati's Strata mat) but the system is foolproof if you follow the instructions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts