Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a shower enclosure that will have a glass surround. I think the Schluter Curb is too high, and want to cut it down shorter because the travertine tile base board is 4" and the curb is 6". I have already thinsetted it in. Can I cut it down to the correct height and still have it be steady? Also what is the typical thickness of the Ditra after it is thinsetted?

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
I am building a shower enclosure that will have a glass surround. I think the Schluter Curb is too high, and want to cut it down shorter because the travertine tile base board is 4" and the curb is 6". I have already thinsetted it in. Can I cut it down to the correct height and still have it be steady? Also what is the typical thickness of the Ditra after it is thinsetted?
This should be moved to the plumbing section.
Don't quit your day job.
:laughing:

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
cut it down, but you should probably fill the holes in with thinset or drypack... if you end up exposing them

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
I have used Schluter a few times and have cut the foam curb down and never hada problem BUT that is just my experiance :p\}

Sky why should this be moved to plumber at best flooring BUT bath is where it should be I thnk :)
He trade is "medical" so he might get a warmer reception over there. :jester:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Please complete your profile, and continue to the intro page and tell us a little about yourself and your proffesional experiance, thankyou and welcome to ct".gmod

·
Registered
967 Posts
The tile base should look fine butting into the curb. Ditra is about 1/4" and if moved any where it should be under "ceramic tile and stone"

·
Tile And Stone Contractor
64 Posts
I would b concerned about your finished height of the shower floor in relation to the cut height of the curb. If you apply a standard height shower floor screed mud, tit should be about 2 1/2 inches, thus only 1 1/2 inches from a 4 inch curb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Per a recent Schluter workshop, shorten from the bottom, narrow width from center (IE leave the original top and sidewalls intact) You'd have to fill your exposed slots with deck mud, That's a bit too thick for dryset/thinset

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
HerrBag said:
Per a recent Schluter workshop, shorten from the bottom, narrow width from center (IE leave the original top and sidewalls intact) You'd have to fill your exposed slots with deck mud, That's a bit too thick for dryset/thinset
So you know, the original question was asked over 3years ago and the "husband" hasn't been back since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts