Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

schluter aluminum bull nose corners

3928 13
I'm starting a large shower job and the owner wants to use the metal bullnose corners from schluter. I've never used them. Are they a good product? I assume they install by mudding and no fasteners. Do you guys use them on the curb? I have a walk in with knee walls on each side.

Thanks, mike
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Schluter's corners and transitions are great products. I haven't used or seen a bullnose for shower curbs, but if they have one, I wouldn't hesitate to rely on it, and on their install instructions.
One other question, is stainless worth using instead of aluminum?. I figure aluminum would be much easier to cut, besides being cheaper.
You mean RONDEC? Stuff is awesome. Never touched stainless but I'm sure it's a complete pain in the ass and should be avoided unless you need the chemical resistance properties.
They work well. I have used them on everyone of my showers in the last couple of years. I cut them to size and square them up on a bench then silicone them together to keep them in place then use Wedi sealant to hold them to the wall.

They ain't the cheapest but you don't normally need many.
Yes I would stay with the aluminum if you can. Just cut them on your regular miter saw.

I have used some of the stainless profiles and they are definetly more of a pita to work with than the aluminum.

Dave
One other question, is stainless worth using instead of aluminum?. I figure aluminum would be much easier to cut, besides being cheaper.
Make a sacrificial fence when you're cutting them on a miter saw. They are delicate enough that cuts can get a little exciting if they try to snag.
Reactions: dkillianjr
You already have a diamond blade on you grinder sitting, it will cut profile alright...less to carry in.
that works. used to use my dewalt tile saw to cut then but the joints were never perfect. a chop saw cuts them so much nicer even without alloy blade.
You already have a diamond blade on you grinder sitting, it will cut profile alright...less to carry in.
I've had it gunk up the diamond blades a bit and I didn't love the results. Throwing 2 pieces of scrap on the chop saw was easier and cleaner.
that works. used to use my dewalt tile saw to cut then but the joints were never perfect. a chop saw cuts them so much nicer even without alloy blade.
I might be wrong but I thought aluminum corroded against cement products. Stainless would be better.
Aluminum, specifically Schluter profiles, won't corrode unless a cementitious product is left on the surface of the profile. Alkaline water sitting on an aluminum surface can corrode it. A properly built shower would not allow alkaline water to collect on a profile, therefore, it's no problem using a Schluter profile on a curb.

Yes, I've done it many times.
Good to see ya angus.
angus242 said:
Aluminum, specifically Schluter profiles, won't corrode unless a cementitious product is left on the surface of the profile. Alkaline water sitting on an aluminum surface can corrode it. A properly built shower would not allow alkaline water to collect on a profile, therefore, it's no problem using a Schluter profile on a curb. Yes, I've done it many times.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.