Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been floating around the Decks.com forums reading all the posts and this was just added:

I'm planning a deck that will sit in an "L" shape of the house. The deck will be about 20x22 and use 2x10 joists and (2) 2x10 beams with a ledger on one wall.
I spoke to the building dept, who told me that the two footings close to the house will need to be at the same elevation as the house footings which would be about 7-8 feet deep beacuse of the full basement. I understand about getting to undisturbed soil.

But, then he told me to find a way to have the foundation support one end of each of the beams. On this wall, the foundation is higher than the ledger (which is why the ledger is on the other wall). The sill plate is about 4" below the decking. So, how do I go about doing this?
He would not elaborate stating he could not design the deck for me, which I understand.

Do I need to cut into the poured concrete foundation and make a pocket for the beam? Is that allowed? If it was just siding (vinyl) I could open the exterior wall, sit the beam on the sill plate, then flash and side around it, but it's not.
I appreciate any ideas.

:thumbsup::eek::rolleyes::whistling:thumbup::mad::blink::censored: There arent enough faces!

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I have been floating around the Decks.com forums reading all the posts and this was just added:

I'm planning a deck that will sit in an "L" shape of the house. The deck will be about 20x22 and use 2x10 joists and (2) 2x10 beams with a ledger on one wall.
I spoke to the building dept, who told me that the two footings close to the house will need to be at the same elevation as the house footings which would be about 7-8 feet deep beacuse of the full basement. I understand about getting to undisturbed soil.

But, then he told me to find a way to have the foundation support one end of each of the beams. On this wall, the foundation is higher than the ledger (which is why the ledger is on the other wall). The sill plate is about 4" below the decking. So, how do I go about doing this?
He would not elaborate stating he could not design the deck for me, which I understand.

Do I need to cut into the poured concrete foundation and make a pocket for the beam? Is that allowed? If it was just siding (vinyl) I could open the exterior wall, sit the beam on the sill plate, then flash and side around it, but it's not.
I appreciate any ideas.

:thumbsup::eek::rolleyes::whistling:thumbup::mad::blink::censored: There arent enough faces!
I fail to see the problem here? Did I just miss it while reading it? Cutting beam pockets into foundation walls is no big deal. They use them for houses all the time. You only need to cut in 3" and if you but too deep use a steel shim post.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They use beam pockets for decks? I have yet to see it, I know I am young so maybe that is why, but I have seen them for interior work. Why would anyone open up a wall of their home to put a beam on the sole plate? All it does is set them up for major water problems...

Maybe I am just missing something...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts