Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: When installing baseboard, crown, etc., why is a scarf joint cut at 22.5 degrees and not 45 degrees? Is there a specific reason for this, or is it more of a local tradition? Does anyone do it at 45?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Everybody that I know uses 45*. It's the set stop on most trim saws.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Question: When installing baseboard, crown, etc., why is a scarf joint cut at 22.5 degrees and not 45 degrees? Is there a specific reason for this, or is it more of a local tradition? Does anyone do it at 45?

Thanks.
Because it looks better to have a smaller joint, if it is cut at a 45 it will be longer.

Homeowners will scarf a joint at 45 because they don't know any better.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Because it looks better to have a smaller joint, if it is cut at a 45 it will be longer.

Homeowners will scarf a joint at 45 because they don't know any better.
I like a 45* scarf on base... larger area for a glue bond and better cross nailing (larger overlap). Also the bigger the angle the more edge grain you have for a strong glue joint (22.5* and smaller angles mean you are essentially glueing endgrain to endgrain).

Or you can butt and biscuit.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Whats a scarf joint anyway?:whistling

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
45 degrees does provide more gluing surface but more prone to shrinking in the pool. therefore i use 22.5 sometimes 30

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I must be out of touch. I've never even seen 22.5. Besides, isn't it a whole lot quicker to just butt them and use a lot of caulking? :whistling

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was taught using 45 but i like 22.5 now. Seems like it's easier to me - especially when making crown scarf joints on the ground. The pieces seem to want to "slip past" each other more with a 45 - especially with a bunch of glue on it - making it difficult to line 'em up.

I like the but joint sometimes with domino's if possible - now that's a tight joint!

·
Registered
910 Posts
It seems to be a regional thing, around here scarfs are 22.5. IMO they look better and are easier to work.

Right now I am repairing some 20 year old vertical cedar siding scarfed at 22.5 that has failed at every joint. Western Red Cedar Lumber Association recommends 45 degrees on anything vertical.

Sorry for the drift.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts