Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving by a stucco crew doing some work, and they had what they called jacked posts made out of 2x4's that leaned up against the house and then they laid there walking planks on top of that, they had 6' and 12' ones. Has anyone seen something like this before?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure I am understanding what you are trying to say, so here is a pic of a traffic cone wearing a dust mask.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I was driving by a stucco crew doing some work, and they had what they called jacked posts made out of 2x4's that leaned up against the house and then they laid there walking planks on top of that, they had 6' and 12' ones. Has anyone seen something like this before?
pics could help, nut i actually seen a wood setup on a large commercial building the other day. it looks like an EIFS jobs. i was shocked, i thought only metal were used

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I beleive he is talking about scaffolding that is made up of 2x4 triangles which are placed against the house wall, and are supported by double 2x4 which is on about a 30 degree angle.

You erect several of these, then place your planks on top of them.

We used to build these in the 60's. Highly illegal for some time now, but they do work.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
If you're talking about something
that looks like a giant saw horse
that was cut in two pieces, I still
use them to work over bushes and such.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,299 Posts
We used to use steel connectors with wood 2x4's braced in both directions but now have the job scaffolded. I have seen advertised a system that uses 2x4's that are vertical and attached at points to the house and then have a plank with guardrail and a jacking system that allows one to go up and down as desired. They actually look pretty good. I think I've seen them advertised in The Journal of Light Construction.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Used to see those half sawhorse things leaned up on homes all th time in th 70's, Chicago suburbs. They appeared to work very well. And they were outlawed for some reason unknown to me and I don't think I really cared about it back in those days. I had alot of other thins on my mind. :whistling

·
Registered
600 Posts
When I worked for the old man framing, he would make those big half of saw horse staging when we put trusses on commercial buildings that had block walls.
We would lean them uo, drive 2x4 steaks in the ground so they wouldn't kick, then lay 2x10's across them for planking.
First time I went on them , it was a little scary, but they never moved.
Well one day OSHA stopped by, and the old man paid some hefty fines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts