Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Writer/Producer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a script for a scaffolding training video. Any help is much appreciated - especially as I'm not in the business myself.

Although I've got a good handle on the OSHA regulations and best practices, I've got a few basic questions on scaffolding that I thought some actual practitioners could help me with. A good amount of them have to do with language and how people are using terms, because I'm trying to aim this at people very inexperienced in these things.

Here's a couple of my questions:

Are technical terms like 'longitudinal' and 'transverse' used much on a day-to-day jobsite? Or is that just something engineers would talk about?

What do you call the vertical pieces that carry the most weight in a scaffold? Uprights? Standards? Poles? Frames? Something else?

Again, thanks for any help you can give me. Much appreciated!

-Zach

·
Super Moderator
24,325 Posts
...Here's a couple of my questions:

Are technical terms like 'longitudinal' and 'transverse' used much on a day-to-day jobsite? Or is that just something engineers would talk about?

Engineers & those trying to impress engineers.

What do you call the vertical pieces that carry the most weight in a scaffold? Uprights? Standards? Poles? Frames? Something else?

Depending on what part of the country your from, type of scaffolding or the guy using the scaffold, could be all the above.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me. Much appreciated!

-Zach
:thumbsup:

·
Writer/Producer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Griz, thanks for your reply. I'm trying to cut down on terms that the average worker will never hear again. I think too many bad training courses rely on terms like that; things that are only used in OSHA regulations or by engineers.

So, to clarify my second question; if you were using frame (fabricated) scaffolds, what would you call the vertical pieces? How about the horizontal pieces that connect the vertical pieces? Would you call those ledgers or runners?

·
Super Moderator
24,325 Posts
...So, to clarify my second question; if you were using frame (fabricated) scaffolds, what would you call the vertical pieces? How about the horizontal pieces that connect the vertical pieces? Would you call those ledgers or runners?
Around here we call them frames or sections.
If you are referring to the welded in place pieces we call them rungs. Like set that plank on the 2nd rung. Connect the frames/sections together are braces.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, frames you have 3' 4' 5' 6' frames, X braces, walkthrough braces, endarms, sidearms, pins and keepers, lockin planks & pics ,leveling jacks
casters,oh yah and safety rails

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes, frames you have 3' 4' 5' 6' frames, X braces, walkthrough braces, endarms, sidearms, pins and keepers, lockin planks & pics ,leveling jacks
casters,oh yah and safety rails
I think pic(k) is used mostly in the East. Around here, they are generally just called planks, while "lockin planks" are "decks". We've run into confusion with "pigtail" which is what some people call (connecting) pins, while others use it to refer to the newer version of keeper, which are shaped like a pig's tail. I've also heard sidearms called outriggers, but we use that term for the ironmongery that increases the base dimension of a tower to meet OSHA requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts