Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am having a discussion with our contractor in reference to the completion of the Red Tag information on the front of their tag. Date, CP Name and Signature and Comments. They are under the impression it does not need to be filled out since a date and initials are on the back of the tag. I am not seeing any OSHA requirement on what needs to be documented on the tag. The only thing it is being requested on the tag. I would like to hear how others would handle this situation. We have asked the contractor to supply their scaffolding policy.

Appreciate the look see.

Al

Rectangle Font Magenta Material property Parallel

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
317 Posts
The front of the tag should be filed out. The reason it is needed is because it needs to be known who the competent person is claiming the scaffold to be dangerous.
How else would you know who you need to speak with about the reason the competent person placed the tag to begin with?
What exactly makes it non compliant and how do I rectify it, would be a question you may want to ask them.
If you disagreed with the red tag, how else would you know who to confront, for lack of a better term.
Whomever placed the tag should be the one who removes it after mitigation of the safety hazard occurs.
You can't just pop red tags on things making claims about non compliance without identifying yourself. (unless your a municipal building inspector because they have very little accountability)
It is how we make informed decisions on if said person is competent to make the call.
The back of the tag is simply a log for daily inspections which can be signed by different people on different days.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,743 Posts
Some companies have a separate document covering tag out procedures for equipment, since it's required for each applicable piece of equipment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So just as a follow up, the reason the GC had them red tag the system was because they did not have the required documentation for the job. (Not the red tag) They had been working on the scaffold and everything was operational. If the scaffold would have been in a non operational condition, to your point we would have had them take it down.

·
Registered
Demolition
439 Posts
Call the rental company and ask them to provide the documentation asap. They should have it readily y available. If they can't, call it off, tell them you want it picked up now, and document everything jic it becomes a liability issue.

·
Registered
General Contractor
12 Posts
Buddy of mine died last year after a scaffolding failure dropped him and a coworker 5 or 6 stories. OSHA just finished investigating and dinged the contractor for not taking it out of service after knowing there were issues with it.

His wife and kids probably have their choice of attorneys willing to hound after everyone involved with the scaffolding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts