1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I'm with you. I originally thought the SawStop guys were genius, and they were with the technology and building their own saw after other saw manufacturers wouldn't buy the technology, but they've kind of turned into rick's with a p about it.

It's a good safety system, but regular table saws can be used very safely and have been for a long time, with a few safety measures and carefulness. Trying to mandate the technology is a little much, I think.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
They have been attempting to force their technology on the masses since it was implemented. This has been one of their goals since the beginning. If they can get the gov to force all manufacturers to use their licensed stopping mechanism they would be rich.

·
GC/carpenter
43,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The inventer is also a patent lawyer. He hired a lobby group that got the California senate to vote 64-4 in favor of it. Companies like tool stores including big box stores fought back using monopoly laws to stop it before it could get fully through the legislature.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm all for safety, but this isn't about safety. This is a lawyer trying to cash in.
There is an inherent danger in every piece of equipment, and they all should be treated with the proper caution and respect. I think once you start mandating something like this, you encourage people to be less aware of the dangers of operating machinery and in the long run more likely to make a painful (or fatal) mistake.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Treat a table saw like basically ANYTHING else you can imagine. Don't use it beyond your skill level and don't use it if you're impaired...

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I most definitely do NOT agree with them trying to monopolize their idea and force it upon us.

However, I love my Saw Stop. It is a great saw apart from the safety features. I would take it over the other powermatic 55 that I use any day. I think it would be great if every shop had one but think its ridiculous that every shop should be forced to have one.

I got to see mine work for the first time the other day. Some wet OSB set it off. It was cool to see it work and know that it actually does work.

·
GC/carpenter
43,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spencer said:
I most definitely do NOT agree with them trying to monopolize their idea and force it upon us. However, I love my Saw Stop. It is a great saw apart from the safety features. I would take it over the other powermatic 55 that I use any day. I think it would be great if every shop had one but think its ridiculous that every shop should be forced to have one. I got to see mine work for the first time the other day. Some wet OSB set it off. It was cool to see it work and know that it actually does work.
I don't know how I would feel about it triggering accidentally. Not only is it an expensive accident, I am now without a saw until I get the replacement parts and get it fixed.

But I agree with you, it's an awesome saw, but awesome things should be able to stand on their own without government mandating them. Especially after finding out the company financed the law that mandated it. It's corruption at its finest. It's tough to support a company that does that.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I most definitely do NOT agree with them trying to monopolize their idea and force it upon us.

However, I love my Saw Stop. It is a great saw apart from the safety features. I would take it over the other powermatic 55 that I use any day. I think it would be great if every shop had one but think its ridiculous that every shop should be forced to have one.

I got to see mine work for the first time the other day. Some wet OSB set it off. It was cool to see it work and know that it actually does work.
Ouch! Did the OSB fool you by feeling dry to the touch? I am just asking, because the saw can be operated in brake bypass mode whenever you have doubt about moisture content of the stock.

I was in a friends shop one morning when his brake went off on a short piece of oak he was ripping. Funny thing about it was that the piece was from the same stock he was ripping the night before with no problems. It was his 2nd brake release and this one ruined a $90.00 Woodworker II blade along with the cost of $70.00 for the cartridge. I'm glad that he was doing the ripping at the moment because I would have felt like crap if it went off on me. I used the saw a lot before this happened.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I don't know how I would feel about it triggering accidentally. Not only is it an expensive accident, I am now without a saw until I get the replacement parts and get it fixed.

But I agree with you, it's an awesome saw, but awesome things should be able to stand on their own without government mandating them. Especially after finding out the company financed the law that mandated it. It's corruption at its finest. It's tough to support a company that does that.
I'd rather loose a finger than support a piece of **** like the originator of the saw.:censored:

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
No matter what we all think about the inventor, it is only a matter of time before all employers and schools will have to provide table saws with flesh detection technology or other related safety features. The Ryobi case has already set legal precedent.

I won't let a helper or anyone else touch my Ridgid jobsite saw.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
where do you draw the line though. Sawstop on chop saws, band saw, jigsaws, knifes, chisels etc etc

also every test I ever see done with this saw it shows the finger moving so slowly towards the blade. If you pushed the material at normal feed rates then it may have a total different outcome and what if the safety don't go off? Are they liable ? As we all know safety features ain't 100% perfect.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
No matter what we all think about the inventor, it is only a matter of time before all employers and schools will have to provide table saws with flesh detection technology or other related safety features. The Ryobi case has already set legal precedent.

I won't let a helper or anyone else touch my Ridgid jobsite saw.
Schools, maybe. Employers, can't believe that will ever happen.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I volunteer Spence to be a 'victim' of a Sawstop Kickback...

Just let it throw the board back at you, claim a disfiguring injury, and then sue the fck out of that SOB:thumbup:

Sorry Spencer... you know...one for the team;)

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I can see it know....

You have 3 choices...

Sawstop

Saw stop

Or the Saw-stop

:rolleyes:

That's all we need is more regulation to protect us from ourselves....

I look at it this way......if it was such a great idea then why aren't these machines flying out the door,...seems odd that they trying to ram it down our throats......:blink: I wonder what that's all about....:rolleyes:

I despise Steve Gass'es motives.........

I believe it's all about $$$$$$$$$$

What's next,:blink: some agency is going to try and rip out the cheese burger from my hands in order to protect myself - from myself....:blink: I am a burden to the health care system,......it goes on and on and on.....:rolleyes:

If they want to offer it as an option , or an upgrade to your saw- if available , fine..you should have choices....but don't tell me what I am going to HAVE to buy....

JMPOV,

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I'd rather see them mandate a power feed than to mandate the Saw Stop. It still should be up to the user as to what he uses.
How does this society allow boxers, football players, soccer, ect to become brain dead, but can't allow a carpenter to cut a finger? It's a personal chioice. How many people die doing sky diving, & rock climbing each year? It's a personal choice. We get to decide how we earn a living, & it's a freedom that needs to stay intact.

Joe

·
Registered
273 Posts
I love the Ryobi case. Until it was actually settled, I didn't really follow it, however, after the verdict I read about it more, in detail.

How could any jury make an award ... using a table saw with NO fence (and that was the least of the plaintiff's infractions)?

Their lightest saw is their contractor's saw and it comes in at well over two hundred pounds.

And, people p-ss and moan over the weight of a Bosche.

Legal precedent be da-ned. There was once legal precedent for slavery and "separate but equal".

However, in this case ... it was the jury's fault.

I move for the public horsewhipping of the jurors and then their tar and feathering ... only be run out of town on a rail.

·
GC/carpenter
43,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It won't be law in the near future until he releases his patent to the public. Where he might of screwed himself is the monopoly he created. That is what stopped it in our legislator.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts