Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am saving for my own truck so I can start doing side carpentry jobs. I am wondering could you get a decent chevy or dodge truck for $10,000 or $12,000 with low miles?

·
Registered
Custom
13,217 Posts
Yes.. but with the low miles aspect, it will be a needle in a haystack but it can be done... my guess is you will be in the 7-10 year old range, with anywhere from 80-140K miles for the price you want to pay, but also check into auctions in your area... if you save a little more ($1-$2K) which can operate as both a repair fund and base for saving for your next truck (plus your trade), you can be a little more flexible on the miles. Any used vehicle without a warranty carries risk, so by having this extra money on hand, you mitigate some of that risk. There also warranty companies that will warranty it if it is under 10 years old and less than 150K miles...

Look for trucks where it is clean on the inside... this is a sign of someone who maintains their vehicle... something like this...

http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/4173773909.html

http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/4167511435.html

http://montgomery.craigslist.org/ctd/4135534919.html

Or if you look beyond Chevy/Dodge (?)...

http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/4173501773.html

http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/4169088549.html

I want to commend you on being willing to save for it and pay cash. If you follow that model in business, you will advance more rapidly than if you have debt to service.

Cash and assets are king in our business and having them keeps you from "buying" business but rather getting the customers you need to pay the price you need to meet your personal and business needs.

Best of luck... 8^)

·
Registered
143 Posts
You bet on the chevy, not sure bout dodge. Take my truck for example, 98 chevy z71. Bought 9 years ago with 155000 miles, I fish hunt farm and work out of this truck. I have hauled tractors from Iowa to kansas and change the oil once a year, no joke. I now have 338000+ miles and still going paid $7000

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
If you're going for practicality, you'll probably find something like a white v6 reg cab manual windows. Add bells and windows and coolness factor and you'll get more miles and more headaches.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I bought my tundra long bed with 35k miles when it was three years old. Flawless. Paid 12,500. Gets 16 mpg in the city. Not great but also not 12 mpg.

Its the smallest most dependable truck that will hold a four by eight sheet flat.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, the reason I wont to pay cash, because I don't have any credit. And the bank won't lend me any money.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't see why you have to drop that kind of money for a truck to start out in... 3-6k would get you something that would do what you want it to around here. Just my 2 cents

While I'm at it I'll also add you don't really need a truck at all for small side jobs. A wagon or a midsize SUV would do the job, hell a sedan would work most of the time. The initial cost and additional cost of fuel will far outweigh delivery charges....

·
Registered
Custom
13,217 Posts
Thanks guys, the reason I wont to pay cash, because I don't have any credit. And the bank won't lend me any money.
You save at least half and a bank would be stupid not to take the deal... But I would encourage you to save the money anyway...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Id suggest using www.autotrader.com, www.carsforsale.com, as well as www.searchtempest.com. You could easily get any major brand (with mileage over 110k) for under $7,000. Dependent on your area. I have a used 2001 tundra i got quite a while ago, currently has 250k miles on it with no major expenses...A buddy of mine who does concrete work also has a tundra, his has 450k miles on it.(not trying to influence your decision hah but i have been fortunate) Seriously though if i were you starting out id try and find a semi high mileage possibly single owner truck.

Also i think it was said above but since working for years out of a truck i gotta say that imo a van is so much more suitable for the trades and would be something to think about.

·
Punching above his weight
10,853 Posts
You're lucky.

Don't get into the world of credit debt hell. If you're really interested in building credit, get a secured credit card and only buy your gasoline with it. Pay it off every month and after a couple years your credit will be good enough that utility companies won't try to suck $500 deposits out of you every time you get a new apartment.
Don't put a truck on credit. You don't want that life.

If you've got 10k in cash, you can have a gorgeous truck with relatively low miles and a pristine exterior.

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
BrotherBunyan
59 Posts
Auctions all the way. Just got an 03 chevy for 1400 with just over 150000 miles. Auctions and luck. Haha

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a hitch on my car and a 4x8 trailer that plywood will fit on if I need it. I have a truck but I work out of my car far more often, it's a 4 door hatchback and with the rear seats removed and plywood on the floor its like working out of a van. Heck I can easily fit several 8' boards in the car if I have to.

I'm like you, not much credit, too much debt, still paying for some bad decisions a few years ago. So whenever I can save some money I do, for that reason I rarely use my truck.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Used work trucks don't need to be beautiful---

Dependable ----and functional--economical----it's a tool,nothing more.

For a starter truck, I would bet you could find a good one in the $3,000 range ,perhaps less---A paint job can work wonders on a good running ugly one----white----

1 - 20 of 120 Posts