Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 7 year old condo project that has all aluminum exteriors, siding, window and door trim, soffit and fascia. All the aluminum trim on the windows are "C" capped and leak. The task at hand is to re-wrap all of the trim the right way, no problem. My plan is to remove the existing aluminum siding and reinstall it. My question is would you try to save the siding or just scap it and submit a bid with new? I'm one of two bidders and think I have an advantage if I can reuse the existing siding. 300 sq. all on slabs, slammers as we call them.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Why do you have to remove the siding to rewrap the windows?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
how's the finish?if it's chalky you may get it back up but the finish will never look the same..my instinct would tend towards replacement..

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Id venture to guess its poor flashing and siding details more so than the aluminum wraps. We typically clip our trim to the j channel. As much as i would like to sell a siding job every time we replace windows

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom Struble said:
how's the finish?if it's chalky you may get it back up but the finish will never look the same..my instinct would tend towards replacement..
No chalk at all it's only 7 year old d-4 with a wood grain

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patrick said:
Id venture to guess its poor flashing and siding details more so than the aluminum wraps. We typically clip our trim to the j channel. As much as i would like to sell a siding job every time we replace windows
Interesting trim detail. I would like to recycle 300 sq. of .024 but I think I can save it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
All City said:
Interesting trim detail. I would like to recycle 300 sq. of .024 but I think I can save it.
What if you cant.... Eeek.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Patrick said:
Sorry for the de-rail..damn that's nice looking wrapping!

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
That much aluminum siding leaves a lot of chances to be messed up. If it's a heavy gauge, you might be lucky, but if it is thin cheap stuff, good luck.

No matter what you do, make sure you can get and have a large quantity of replacement siding available. Then you need a large safe place to store it while you retrim and cap and do any repairs. 300 squares of aluminum siding is a nice haul for some scrappers, and it only takes one person to walk all over your material to mess it up.

Then make sure you keep old and new siding away from each other due to fading.

My thoughts would be that you could pull and replace it with vinyl for the difference you would spend in slow methodical labor to pull it off in one piece. Especially if you take the scrap value into account. Keep the soffits in place to save that cost.

A small house is one thing, but 300 squares is a bit different. I wouldn't want to do it on anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts