Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 5" X 12" sandstone cap that tops the foundation of my front porch has deteriorated beyond repair.
The slabs lift out quite easily, due to washed out mortar.
The length of the cap is 32ft, with 24" brick columns resting on each end.
The porch floor is concrete & was poured inside the sandstone cap.
I cannot justify replacing the sandstone with like material, due to cost, & color match problems.
I'm going to pour in place a concrete cap, but leave the pieces that support the brick columns at the corners of the porch. The concrete will later be painted to diminish its existence, & match the painted porch slab.
There is a 10 ft limestone cap (step) in the center of the 32ft expanse that will remain untouched.
Therefore, I'll have two separate 9' X 5" X 12" pours.
I'm concerned re an expansion material against the column bases.
Is there some expansion material that is more aesthetically pleasing than the black stuff that is standard on concrete slabs?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
There's grey felt you can use- I believe it's made from Homosote. Or, you can pour with a temporary space, and then install backer rod and caulk the joint instead of using pre-formed expansion joint material.

Bob

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Or I like to use that 'Zip-Strip' stuff, - - it's a foam strip about 1/2" thick by about 4" wide, - - after the concrete dries you just 'peel off' the top 1/2", - - allowing a groove for your self-leveling caulk, - - which is usually light grey in color.

'Colored' concrete is a better bet than painting, - - you'll just do the job once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
I'll use a piece of foam & caulk it in later.
I dont know why I didn't think of it myself. I guess it's been too many years since pouring thousands of yards of crete.

Tom,
There will be a horizontal painted band that needs to be matched, as well as the existing painted porch slab. Therefore, painting the concrete is the only way to make it all come together.

Thanks again
Les Digits

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
les digits said:
Thanks guys!
I'll use a piece of foam & caulk it in later.
I dont know why I didn't think of it myself. I guess it's been too many years since pouring thousands of yards of crete.

Tom,
There will be a horizontal painted band that needs to be matched, as well as the existing painted porch slab. Therefore, painting the concrete is the only way to make it all come together.

Thanks again
Les Digits
OK, Les, - - after reading your post again I realize you're leaving the slab, - - I thought you were re-doing it, too. Good luck with the project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts