Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard or studied the Sandler method of sales. It's weird to say the least. I just bought a CD set from Certianteed which is the sandler school of sales.

To summarize, first you throw off the customer by doing the exact opposite as a normal salesman would. COmpliment the competitors, act un-interested in the sale.

Then you cause the customer pain by figuring out what their problem is and dwelling on it.

Then you go in for the kill.

It's very manipulative if you ask me, but not in the traditional sense. The underlying theme is since people buy on emotion, throw away features and benefits and sell purely on emotion. Cause the customer pain then convince them you can cure that pain.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Seriously, who knows. Everybody is desparate to provide the sales technique of the month. I've seen so many motivational speakers and sales trainers and been to so many sales training classes I have lost count. Tom Hopkins and Zig Ziglar stand out as some of the best and most relevant experiences I ever had. I would punch Anthony Robbins in the gut if I had a chance, what a jack ass he turned out to be.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Honesty has always been my best sales tool, all of the cards on the table.
One of my first questions is 'How much do you want to spend on this project?'. I then procede to explain what they can have for $XXXX. Frequently they realise that they underestimated the project and I allow THEM to tailor the job to their liking. Often the job doubles and occasionally triples but THEY did it. I didn't SELL them anything, I simply explained what they could have for X$.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike I have a few tom hopkins and zig ziglar cd's. I listen to them more than anything.

LOl FLor :)

Mike I never talk budget until they decide exactly waht they want as if budget wern't even a consideration. Start with the best then tailor down if necessary. I have found their budget is never in the ball park unless they have a few other estimates.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Grumpy,
Are you looking to close in the first meeting? If so, try Spin Selling. It's a real good method towards one-meeting closings.

Doing estimating I didn't have that luxury - had to go back and either get sub bids or design the project. In those situations I use another method that is based upon asking a series of "Here's what you probably want to talk about...yada...yada...yada...Am I correct?" method. I can not remember the name of it to save my life but will let you know asap. It was much more of a relationship-building method. Something you will need as a GC, but may not if you're re-roofing a house and are not going to be there for very long.

Tim

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tim while closing on the first sit isn't a priority for me I don't knock it when it happens. I don't pressure my customers but I am always looking to further my education, weather it be sales or other. I probably won't buy the book only because I have no time for reading. I am a CD junky though, and buy any sales or negotiation cd's that look like they are worth a damn.

Like you said I build a relationship with my customers. I don't have quite as much time to build that relationship (about an hour), but I do my very best to be the person the customer remembers for all the right reasons. Most of my sales are closed over the phone after the initial meeting. I look at all my customers as customers for life. I want to see them at least once a year for the rest of my life when I, or one of my workmen, are cleaning their gutters.

Of the 87 people that have called me for an estimate since I officially opened my doors September 9th 2004, 15 calls have turned out to be absolute garbage that didn't even receive an estimate for what ever reason. Of the remaining 72 written estimates I have sold 26. Thats about 36% so far. That leaves 46 unslod leads and only 8 have been awarded to other contractors so far. Come spring I will close a few more of these.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I have modified this method and now teach it to contractors

Hey guys,

I have had extensive training in the Sandler method. I have developed a twist on it for contractors that also includes some persuasion techniques that make customers SELL YOU instead of you selling them.

It can be powerful and life changing. It is not for the weak or people who are easily satisfied with less. Many are selling millions with the system.

The stuff I do would probably NOT interest you if you are aready happy with your income and sales results, your ability to differentiate yourself from your competition and the amount of free information you give to customers only to have your competition steal the job from you at the end.

If not you may want to check it out. Our site is NoAdsAllowed .com

Check out the FREE stuff when you get there. With my compliments.

Joe C.

·
Registered
513 Posts
grumpy, i like reading your post on here always very helpful. but if i read your post right since sept. 04 you only had 87 phone calls for estimates. thats a very low # and i would starve on that in my buss. thats only 43 a year. here it is january in the northeast of pa and i'm getting more calls than that in a month? also the best sales cd's ive bought so far for the home improvement industry is phil rea's he has a gaureentee to raise your window sales by $100,000 or they will give you that much money in a year. it worked for me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
grumpy, i like reading your post on here always very helpful. but if i read your post right since sept. 04 you only had 87 phone calls for estimates. thats a very low # and i would starve on that in my buss. thats only 43 a year. here it is january in the northeast of pa and i'm getting more calls than that in a month? also the best sales cd's ive bought so far for the home improvement industry is phil rea's he has a gaureentee to raise your window sales by $100,000 or they will give you that much money in a year. it worked for me.

Nah, the thread itself is two years old. Grumpy posted on Nov 28th, 2004 saying he had 87 calls since Sept 9th, 2004- a period of almost three months.

·
Registered
513 Posts
oh thanks for clarifing that! duh!!!! i thought he sounded much more seasoned than that i guess i should check the post date eh?

·
Registered
75 Posts
To summarize, first you throw off the customer by doing the exact opposite as a normal salesman would. COmpliment the competitors, act un-interested in the sale.

Then you cause the customer pain by figuring out what their problem is and dwelling on it.

Then you go in for the kill.
I'm not so sure I would put it quite that way but that is a good colloquial "elevator speech" that can be used to descibe the Sandler Sales Method in a nutshell. I took some Sandler training over a decade ago and found it was great and really worked and the principles and methods I learned back then I still use today.

I wasn't aware Certainteed was distributing anything by Sandler. Do you have a URL so I could follow up and see what they're offering?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried it,"its a joke" dont waste your time!

A few years ago when I was in my own business I tried Sandler and it was a joke. The bottomline as a home improvement closer like any of us here I was light years ahead of anyone taking that course. Most of the guys in there were from some big insurance companies or website companies making a cushy salary on top of their sales quota. It was a real pathetic bunch! I would hear questions like "I cant get passed the gate keeper what should i do" And this Jackass that ran the Sandler program would try to kiss this p____Y's Ass by setting up a hypetihectical situatation. I finally set an ultimatum with the guy explaining to teach me something new becasue as a Home Improvement Salesman if I dont sell I dont eat. And he gave me my money back. The Classes are a waste. Anybody reccomending them is getting a cut. I would reccoemend their books though, you can get them on Amazon. Some good ideas , but nothing like Art of closing any deal by Claude Perkins. :censored:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vinyl guy if you look at the date of my original post in this thread, you will see it was only a couple of months since I originally opened my door.

Last year (2006) we wrote nearly 500 estimates. In 2007 I expect to write 960.

·
Registered
513 Posts
yeah!sorry:whistling dustball already clarified that for me. i'm a knuckle head! what can i say? i should of known as much as much knowledge as you but forth on here. look forward to reading more of your post .

·
Registered
850 Posts
Hey guys,

I have had extensive training in the Sandler method. I have developed a twist on it for contractors that also includes some persuasion techniques that make customers SELL YOU instead of you selling them.

It can be powerful and life changing. It is not for the weak or people who are easily satisfied with less. Many are selling millions with the system.

The stuff I do would probably NOT interest you if you are aready happy with your income and sales results, your ability to differentiate yourself from your competition and the amount of free information you give to customers only to have your competition steal the job from you at the end.

If not you may want to check it out. Our site is NoAdsAllowed .com

Check out the FREE stuff when you get there. With my compliments.

Joe C.
Wow, I'm really impressed. It's probably not as good as my mind control techniques, though. When I really turn it on people coming running out of their houses and give me money for nothing.

John

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
I was intrigued by the Sandler guys at the Remodeling show, but in part 2 they explained that it's OK to lie to get past the "gatekeeper".

How can you sell on honesty if you start with a lie?
I prefer to position myself as a counselor, and assist the homeowner in making the best decision for their needs & budget.

~Matt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts