Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to sand between coats, before topcoat on trim. 220 steel sponge, steel wool.....l I'm doing a satin finish bright white.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
Usually a scotch brite green pad. There are other grits (pad colors) available, but green is easy to find.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually a scotch brite green pad. There are other grits (pad colors) available, but green is easy to find.
Thank you. I have used steelwool before, but I didn't like the way it turns the paint to gray. I always worried it would be hard to cover. I stoped using it for that reason. That was a long time ago. I just wondered if that was truly the case or if I worried to much. I usally use a 3m (thin) sanding sponge. sometimes I get a bit carried away tho and sand to much. There's just something about me and sandpaper. :whistling

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
We cut up a maroon buffer pad into squares. More aggressive than the green scotch brite.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
We cut up a maroon buffer pad into squares. More aggressive than the green scotch brite.
I'm not really sanding between coats to smooth it, just scuffing it for adhesion. Satin probably doesn't need it for adhesion.

Good idea about cutting up the buffer pads. I can get any color buffing pad, but trying to find the maroon Scotch Brite pads isn't easy around here. There's always the internet...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I use the thin 3M pads too. Only sand it if it needs it, usually the primer coat needs sanded and maybe the first coat. If the grain isn't raised and it is smooth then no need to sand it.
Not to be confused with sanding old oil paint for adhesion.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I'm not really sanding between coats to smooth it, just scuffing it for adhesion. Satin probably doesn't need it for adhesion.

Good idea about cutting up the buffer pads. I can get any color buffing pad, but trying to find the maroon Scotch Brite pads isn't easy around here. There's always the internet...

I misread the original question & was thinking sanding primer before first coat. My bad.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't know how much you use, but this (Dixon Abrasives) is where I buy my hand use denib pads. We use 1/2"x3x4 foam pads for denibbing, but for just scruffing treatment, a maroon non woven pad would probably be best.
http://surfprepsanding.com/non-woven-pads/

Any automotive paint supply should also have the maroon pads in stock.
Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts