Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. My floor has a slight hump In the doorway. I cannot get it out. I have jacked both sides, as well as cut the joists in doorway. I have fudged it all the way around to get the hump down to about 1\4 slope on each side of 6' level. My question is when I sand, should I start in the doorway or work wall to wall thru the door? Im going to use a belt sander. My worry is the sander wanting to cut to much in the doorway or creating dips. I hope this isn't a stupid question. I just don't want to create a larger problem.

Attachments

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Are you talking about using a rental yard ez 8 or a hand held sander? Either way the hump will make no difference to either machine. Wouldn't advise using a hand held though, I've seen so many home owners pull that move; never ends up well or on time.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about using a rental yard ez 8 or a hand held sander?
Sorry, using a ez8. Wouldn't try this with a handheld. I've never sanded floors, well a1 parquet. I have heard a lot of horror stories thou.I guess that's why I get started off correctly. I've always laid prefinished, for homeowners. This is my house so I want to learn.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Are you talking about using a rental yard ez 8 or a hand held sander? Either way the hump will make no difference to either machine. Wouldn't advise using a hand held though, I've seen so many home owners pull that move; never ends up well or on time.
Agreed, using a rental sander, the hump won't make a difference. The carriage of the sander will keep the sander removing the same amount of material through the hump.

We work on a lot of old homes with unlevel floors. They flatten out just fine, but they're still unlevel & still have the humps & dips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts