Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know some of you guys up here in the north are die hard sandblasters, and others all over
Post some pictures of you blasting in the Cold.

For you guys in the sun belt, see what your missing ... Lol

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start off..
This guy drive his truck down,
Dodge M37 no roof
So I could give him a price on sandblasting it! After seeing the poor bastard get out of his truck
In -2 degree weather....
I think I'll give him a break

Attachments

·
Bob
512 Posts
that snow might be hard enough to use as media . . . you could have shot it right there in the driveway! No need for a dry ice system . . .

·
Registered
158 Posts
that snow might be hard enough to use as media . . . you could have shot it right there in the driveway! No need for a dry ice system . . .
Don't give MMLJ any ideas. I can see it now: "The newest in blasting technology - The Snow Blaster" :blink:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I started doing these high-end gel-coat restorations a ways back.... where we remove the bottom paint and restore the boats bottom back to original shiny gel-coat.

The project started like this anti-foul and barrier coat

THIS WAS MONDAY

We then have a special process where we blast it and lightly sand it, followed by compounding and a final waxing.

THIS WAS THURSDAY

Only problem is I have to compound it and wax it in the snow tomorrow :mad:

THIS WAS FRIDAY

THIS WAS YESTERDAYThis is the end result after hours of sanding, compounding and waxing.

YESTERDAYHere you can see the reflection in the back end of the restored boat bottom

YESTERDAYHere another angle of the restored bottom... nice reflection

·
Bob
512 Posts
restoring those bottoms to gloss is so much work, especially if they've been aggressively prepped prior to paint. almost everytime someone asks me to do that I uncover old repairs, grinder marks, etc and we end up just repainting

·
Registered
710 Posts
restoring those bottoms to gloss is so much work, especially if they've been aggressively prepped prior to paint. almost everytime someone asks me to do that I uncover old repairs, grinder marks, etc and we end up just repainting
When I come across that stuff we just match the gel-coat color and re-gel-coat the damage areas followed by sanding and compounding.

Most of my clients have no problem paying extra for damage we uncover.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sounds like allot of work!
mite have to try it out.
what pressure are you blasting at to leave a profile light enough to sand and polish
obviously you are using some super fine glass correct?

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a fork lift we did after the last storm
At least the guy had it plowed out for us so we could blast on level ground .
The white truck, the guy didn't even clean off the truck, we used the air to blow it off before we started

Attachments

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Small job for s sunday but at least is was above 20 degrees

Sand flows really good, don't even run the dryers
But some water that does make it to the pot freezes up in clumps, running a choke gets ride of it quick.

We hang our breathing air line behind the compressor to keep it warm and have a extra hose heating incase it plugs up, swap it out every now and then

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts