Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to deal with re taping a seam with sand texture?

I avoid this stuff or have some one do it but this is part of a small repair so I am considering doing it. I did warn them that it will likely look different.

I assume the surrounding area gets scraped flat for new spackle as normal then sand is either applied to the primer or the finish coat. Not sure if it gets splattered on of mixed into the paint and rolled together.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
I've found the best way to match sand texture on a repair is to mix the sand in with joint compound mixed with water to a pancake batter consistency and spray it on with an hopper like orange peel texture. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul I dont use hoppers. What are you saying? You handle joint as normal then use the the spackle as a spray with sand? Its not popcorn or knockdown, its gritty.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
We just did a patch like that and we floated it out and bought a gallon of sand mixed paint from depot and rolled it on the patched area. Worked like a champ.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
I just did this.

All Depending on what the orginal texture was.

Before I start I always tell the client it won't be exact since that's nearly impossible, but close so it won't stand out.. so there's no confusion...

First scrape the area needing repair.

Repair as normal.

If the texture is kind of "lumpier" than just a sand texture or a knockdown with sand over, I thin down some compound and sponge it on to match it up as best as I can.

Then mix the sand texture into the paint and give it enough coats till it matches up.

Reactions: Tom M
1 - 6 of 6 Posts