Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Sand Blasting Tombstones

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ickcleaners 
I assume you mean cleaning. I do both cleaning and final inscriptions. cleaning I like soda. you wont hurt the grass as its pretty quick. only issue would be the pedals on the flowers. they die. small tarp will fix that problem.

I have cleaned hundreds with soda with great results. abrasive will damage polished surfaces especially on soft stones like sandstone. walnut might be a option too, haven't tried it yet but will once the snow goes. play it safe, you destroy a 100yr old headstone, your in trouble.

for inscriptions we use 60 grit red garnet.

Attachments

I have no experience with pressure washing stones and of course my way is better. (sounds like a typical blaster) :rolleyes:

I am sure they both have their negatives and positives. I would think the pressure washer will hurt soft stones just like soda would. You can take paint off a window with soda and not hurt the glass. Soda will not hurt any polished stone....but like any job, test a spot first.

The majority of the stones I do are granite. not many soft ones here. I think the climate would destroy them,

it will be a hard sell if they are already making money off their system.

Attachments

dyer. its not that bad. the ones I posted were in older sections with mostly weeds. I did them a favor! on the nice grass it didn't do much damage at all. all the places I have gone to nobody ever complained.

was thinking today about cobb. that might be a better option, less dust and biodegradable. may try that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.