Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a complete sandblasting setup, Marco tank, 185 cfm compressor. If I wanted to integrate soda blasting into my business, would I just need to get a new pot and hoses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know anything about soda blasting, so I don't know how the two systems could integrate if at all. I am just ASSUMING that you would need separate pressure pots along with hoses...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If I have a complete sandblasting setup...If I wanted to integrate soda blasting into my business, would I just need to get a new pot and hoses?
New pot, yes
new hoses, no.

You can retrofit your pot for soda by the valving, but that's a half measure and halfies aren't a good idea with expensive abrasives that can't be reclaimed.

Who make's marthen's pots, empire?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Brian you can either get a multi media pot which will work OK for soda or get a more eficient soda only pot if you find a good enough deal that the extra cost of a seperate dedicated pot doesn't outway the savings on soda usage. I don't know anything about your Marco, perhaps it would meter soda well enough as it is. Throw a half a bag through it and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
typical of marthens, looks like a clemco inlet/outlet valves and a schmidt microvavle. I wonder if clemco makes their pots for them?

·
nbjornson
20 Posts
Actually Clemco used to make Marco pressure vessels. Now Marco makes their own. However Clemco pressure vessels are 3/8" thick and Marco, Schmidt, Empire use 1/8" thick shells. The problem with Bi-Carb blasting is flow issues. Number one you need really dry air. Moisture kills the process. Second a specialized 1/2" valve like the Soft King from Clemco is ideal. Another issue is the vessel itself. Soft King machines and most decent pots use 60 degree cones instead of standard 35 degree cones. Most media ceases to flow at 32 degrees. Bi-Carb is bound to bridge and stop flowing and the cone can be epoxy lined to help even further. Bi-Carb is also expensive so you want to get it right at 50-60 cents a pound.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Great post nbj. You know your stuff. Hard to wrong with anything clemco, great products, great service, great american people. I just wonder if they've gotten the capability to meter fines yet. I've not blasted in a while, so I don't know.

I've always viewed marthens/marco/etc. as little more than a low grade chinese walmart as once they lowball enough to kick everyone else out, they set the market rate a little higher and now have made enough money to make their own. Come in monday morning and on your desk is their gomer fax bombings are there, waiting for you...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Great post nbj. You know your stuff. Hard to wrong with anything clemco, great products, great service, great american people. I just wonder if they've gotten the capability to meter fines yet. I've not blasted in a while, so I don't know.

I've always viewed marthens/marco/etc. as little more than a low grade chinese walmart as once they lowball enough to kick everyone else out, they set the market rate a little higher and now have made enough money to make their own. Come in monday morning and on your desk is their gomer fax bombings are there, waiting for you...
Yes you can set up a chemco pot to meter bi carb all that is required is a thompson type valve and where the airline goes into the pot just before the T you have to put a ball type valve to cause a deviation of pressure. Lower pressure to the pot than going to the media valve.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Aussie,
Thompson valves are good if ya want to shut the abrasive flow off yet keep the pot pressurized. Other than that, you can just use a microvalve.
I just checked the clemco site and it looks like they're still using the disc valve, which is great for most abrasives. For fine/high dollar stuff, they can't meter well enough--and I don't understand why they don't put a different valve on the bottom of it.

I've always thought the clemco 600 pot with a schmidt microvalve is the best setup for all around blasting.

Lower pressure to the pot than going to the media valve.
That makes sense, but with the choke valve, good air and good abrasive, one really shouldn't need differential pressure. If they do need applications for that, then they need to buy things like a soda pot where one can blast at low enough PSI to strip paint of beer cans and not dent them. Oh, they're empty. ;)

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
What will happen if you put glass in your soda pot? I just don't see why I cant run glass through my pot.
What kinda glass?
I am not familiar with any glass other than beads....and you don't want that in a pressure pot. The non-bead glass I think is like flint, so if you've ran that thru your pot, that type of glass should work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Crushed glass is what is typically used. I have been told that you couldn't run anything but soda through a soda pot. But I can't figure out why that is.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I have been told that you couldn't run anything but soda through a soda pot. But I can't figure out why that is.
My soda blast pot is set up for just soda, it's the grit shut off ballvalve keeps it from using glass or anything course. Plus the inside is more fine tuned for soda .

If you were going to shoot soda on a regular bases, a separate pot is good.

Once an a while, with doing glass and other media a lot, go with surface tech

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was told the same thing about my machine and pot
but I found out that was not true.

I have a Soda Blast Systems machine with a coverted sand storm pot . The only problem I have is the gemini rotary valve wears out after time with the crushed glass. I get about three or four jobs out of a valve before having to replace it . The cost is only about 50.00 dollars for the valve so I figure it in the jobs.
Now I keep one valve set up for the glass and another for the soda . I've been doing it that way for a couple of years now with out a problem.

Mike

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Mine is a buster blaster from chesapeeke soda. the inside tip has fine groves in it, it would wear out quickly. the ball valve is 12v and cost around 250 to replace the main parts.
I'm not saying you cant run glass through mine, but it was more fessable to buy a marco pot for me.

Plus if the blast pot is not empty at the end of the job, I just switch over to the soda buy changing over the blast hose and air supply line and I'm ready to rock.

a few times I've had my son blasting soda while I'm doing the glass work..

All depends on the type of work that your doing.

Like I said, a muti media pot is good if your doing a little of this and a little of that... or a lot of one.

I've sent my son to a boat, and I've gone off to do a dump truck. my set up is good for that.
if I have a job that needs both, the down fall is I have to take both pots.

just my 2 cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts