Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a salvage company that bought the old factory in town to use as storage. There have some cool stuff coming and going. I dream some day I can build some kind of garden structure out of some of the stuff. Would love to do a classic folly or ruin. Going to stop by their office an get a tour of the yard. Here's some typical stuff I see. Some type of gray granite. Most stuff coming out of Eastern cities. I think occasionally as far as Chicago.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Architectural salvage yards are always great, fun places to stimulate ideas.

My question,with all the high tech machinery at our disposal,why have we as a Nation chosen to abandon details and embellishments of beauty........only to produce some of the most "fragile" an mundane buildings? We are truly backing up rather then moving forward.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Thank you CJKarl for starting this thread with your pictures. Those old weather beaten columns,capitals and bases exude a solidity,permanence and timelessness (even lying on their sides) that are as endearing as mans' first attempt to provide permanent shelter.

Thank you to all who weighed in on this thread.For in your ability to recognize that permanence you keep the light burning to help displace the "darkness" that is indicative of the "fragile" way the continent tends to build at this place in time.

Those of you skillful enough(and I believe you all are) to construct buildings of such beauty and solidity as these artifacts were removed from, are possibly the last vestige of the rear guard. As such,I applaud your recognition,skill,and pure love of the craft. Thank you !

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My question,with all the high tech machinery at our disposal,why have we as a Nation chosen to abandon details and embellishments of beauty........only to produce some of the most "fragile" an mundane buildings? We are truly backing up rather then moving forward.
Faster, thinner, cheaper, faster, cheaper.....did I mention faster and cheaper?

Welcome to the Walmart culture....kneel, and serve the shipping container of cheap goods, and wave good bye to the value of craftsmanship.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.