Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any lighting design that worked really well in a hair salon?
I am finding that most people (lighting reps) are advising me to use the new LED track lights, but I am hesitant b/c the lumen levels are 1/2 vs the halogens (1/2 = 2x fixtures), but at the same time they dont throw alot of heat. The CFL's have bad coloring as do the troffers. Ive tried most everything but dont want to do a complete overhaul.

·
ampman
783 Posts
i say a couple of 400 watt metal halides should do the trick

·
Contractor
4,733 Posts
I installed new 400w metal halides in a gymnasium (8 fixtures) and when there is no natural light (at night) the colortone is very odd-brings out wierd skin tone. the bulbs came from the same supplier as always-same specs-but never had the tonal problem. Other than that, there is a tremendous amount of light. If the previous poster is correct, try 175w fixtures

did you try various CFL temp's? I'm not a fan of 'cool white', which is a lower temp bulb, but the 3500 range is a bright white. Whatever you choose. If you used enough cans with multiple temp CFL's tied to different switches-the hairdressers may use the bright whites during the day and add/change to 4000K+ daylight bulbs at night by flipping a switch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you have troffers installed already, have you experimented with all the lamps available? There is more available today than the nasty old school 41K lamps.

Throw in something in the 27-35K range. You/they might like it.

I did a salon a while back loaded with 50 watt metal halide bi pin lamps. The lamps alone were like 45 bucks each:eek:. Not my design, not my idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts