Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my latest inhome sales tools. The box is to show the homeowner a sample roof and how the different parts go together.
The chimney model displays how we flash the chimney!
Homeowners are loving this! Noone else in the area is doing this!
Anyone interested in getting some demo displays for their business?

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin
I believe that roofers in particular have to step up their game. Windows and siding have had great presentations for years and have various demos for homeowners.
Certainteed says that 80% of roofing contractors are still bid droppers!!
Good news for us!
I am interested in taking these sales demos to the masses and helping fellow roofers!
It is a win, win situation!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Kevin
I believe that roofers in particular have to step up their game. Windows and siding have had great presentations for years and have various demos for homeowners.
Certainteed says that 80% of roofing contractors are still bid droppers!!
Good news for us!
I am interested in taking these sales demos to the masses and helping fellow roofers!
It is a win, win situation!

Shoot me a priv message with your contact info and I will try and call you next week so we can discuss:thumbup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Roofman,

You might want to offer some help in how to use the case in a presentation. I do sales consulting during the winter as things are slower and find most don't know how to use demo kits or products in the home to their advantage. Nice kit!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Roofman,

You might want to offer some help in how to use the case in a presentation. I do sales consulting during the winter as things are slower and find most don't know how to use demo kits or products in the home to their advantage. Nice kit!

The best method I have seen to use these, is to laminate a sheet of paper with the Bullet Points listed on the paper, and attach with velcro to the backside so you can see it, and your customer can not.

Practice using the prop, making a point to keep the prop aimed at your customer not towards you. Do not be next to your customer, be across from them, and look towards them waiting for eye contact, and signs of interest/disinterest. Not all customers require visual props, if they are non into it, get to the points but keep the focus on you, not your prop.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I don't like clichés, but "outside the box" definitely comes to mind on this.

Let me add this too since I can speak from a customer perspecive and know almost nothing about roofs. When you do a price quote, us customers have no idea what our roof looks like and your assessment is all we have to go on. Using a camera or camcorder to take pics or video could add even more since you can show the problems and offer solutions to how you will fix them. Few roofers do anything like that either.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve,
I have a mobile printer and take pictures of problem areas. The homeowners love this! Sometimes when a homeowner doesn't really know if they need a roof, i show them the pictures of their bad roof and they say "wow"!
The pictures add so much credibility to the presentation, then add the demo displays and i really stand out!
I call it my shock and awe presentation!
I would love to teach other roofing salemen how to get better and close more sales!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Very nice sales tool. It also has additional possibilities that I forsee..... But, do the customers still just ask, How much does it cost? Or how are you setting th0e hook during your presentation? When do you know to turn off the demo and go for the commitment?

Ed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The demo is part of a presentation. As i discuss ventilation, i set up the demo and show the vented drip edge. As i move to drip edge, i install it on the demo and show the homeowner how it works, if they dont already know. Then underlayment, seal strip, and felt or synthetic.
The demo is in synch with my presentation and a part of it.
If people are interested in purchasing the demo boxes, i will put up a video of me using it, so that guys will have an idea how to use it and tweak it for their own use!!
I also have a ball i use to measure roofs with that saves time, money and is a hell of a lot safer to use on the roof than a tradional metal tape measure!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Roofman,

You my friend, get it. Educate the customer, create excitement, get them involved. It works, who cares about price!?! Roofing sales people can learn a lot from you, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I feel it helps us all if we can share ideas and make the industry better as a whole!
So many guys i know dont want to share their "secrets".
They tend to be the low ball bid droppers anyway!
I can always learn more about marketing and sales and try to pick up something new every day!
I am starting a website that will have products for sale that will improve your closing percentages. There will also be some free information as well.
I love this industry and luckily there is enough of us good guys left to make it fun and profitable!
Looking forward to the new year, making money and sharing ideas and information!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Im surprised i assumed you guys all did this before?

I even carry one showing drip edge,i&w and the shingle just so they can see how the 2 interact with are gutter system.

How do you guys generally sell someone at 8k roof with showing what you are gonna do and what its gonna look like?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Im surprised i assumed you guys all did this before?

I even carry one showing drip edge,i&w and the shingle just so they can see how the 2 interact with are gutter system.

How do you guys generally sell someone at 8k roof with showing what you are gonna do and what its gonna look like?
I take in a computer and show them a PowerPoint presentation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts