Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. Chit chat leads - Casually bring up what I do in chit chat conversation everywhere I go. In the last 6 months I have gotten chit chat leads from a bank teller, a homeowner standing in line behind me at Wendy's, a mechanic fixing my truck, a cashier, a waitress, my daughters school teacher, parents at a soccer game, the father of the owner of the equipment rental yard, and so on.

2. See a need knock leads - Knocking on doors with property that has an obvious need. For every 25 doors I knock on, I have made a sale. 1 out of 5 want to talk. 1 out of of 5 of them I am able to sell.

3. Ask and receive referral leads - Asking all of my appointments who they know that also might be interested. 3 out of 4 say no. 1 out of 4 say yes and I am able to secure their contact info and a referral even if I don't sell the appointment. I sell about 1 out of 4 of them.

4. Peace of mind mindset - Knowing my numbers of my sales funnel. For example, for every 100 inquiries, I am able to qualify 40, I present a formal proposal to 15 and sell 5. Knowing these numbers, I know where I am in my sales volume along with where along the way thru my sales activities I am and what results I will achieve and at what point.

5. Selling upgrades - Always presenting at least 5 and as many as 10 optional upgrades that might make sense with separate pricing with every formal presentation. It is very rare I do not sell at least one upgrade with this technique and usually it is 2 to 4 and on occasional all of them, resulting in hundreds or thousands of extra dollars in sales with every proposal

6. Selling exclusions - Listing what is not included in a proposal that could have been or might have been. For example, grass seed, garage door openers and stating all listed items are available for a additional investment and then listing a price.

7. Waive to neighbors and gawkers leads - ALWAYS take the time to go introduce yourself to anyone checking out your project. Drive byers and walk byers and other gawkers are often prospective buyers you have earned credibility with because you are already working in their neighborhood. Waive, walk over, introduce yourself and start a conversation. It's making it easy for them to do business with me.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I always try to meet new customers on days when I have shaved, and am wearing clean clothes, and no hat.
Never a second chance to make a first impression.

·
Registered
819 Posts
no facial hair

spend some time talking with the homeowners...find something in their house to talk about...their cat, their collector car in the garage...connect with them on something

give them 2+ cards when done and explain to them that you live on referrals...ask them to tell others about you

sweep or vacuum up after yourself...almost no one does this

have your logo on your tee shirt, van, everything....look like your a 100 man shop even when your small.

try to have 3 options for every task/job...low/middle/high end.....almost everyone will pick the middle when given a choice of 3....and give the middle one a bit more markup...it will make you enough extra at the end of the year to take your family to Disneyland just on that extra markup from the low to the middle

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
huggytree said:
no facial hair spend some time talking with the homeowners...find something in their house to talk about...their cat, their collector car in the garage...connect with them on something give them 2+ cards when done and explain to them that you live on referrals...ask them to tell others about you sweep or vacuum up after yourself...almost no one does this have your logo on your tee shirt, van, everything....look like your a 100 man shop even when your small. try to have 3 options for every task/job...low/middle/high end.....almost everyone will pick the middle when given a choice of 3....and give the middle one a bit more markup...it will make you enough extra at the end of the year to take your family to Disneyland just on that extra markup
I agree with all of this except the facial hair thing. I would change that to say "if you have facial hair, have it groomed and looking professional."

·
Registered
819 Posts
I agree with all of this except the facial hair thing. I would change that to say "if you have facial hair, have it groomed and looking professional."
studies have shown that women don't like facial hair....they trust the clean shaven man more if given a choice.....I used to grow a beard when I did new homes all winter long and was an employee....now that I work for myself I am always clean shaven & short hair

women make a lot of the decisions when it comes to hiring the plumber... I want to be as attractive as possible to them.....no hairy butt crack either....im 43 and those 70 year old ladies love me.....too bad the 25 year olds don't feel the same way anymore....those old ladies always comment on me to the GC's.....

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I still don't know about the whole facial / no facial hair thing. I've had a beard pretty much since I started up and I think that's the very last thing homeowners consider when deciding on who to hire or not.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I have a theory that beards are a great psychological advantage. And boots.

Any difference of opinion or argument about construction, machinery, livestock, welding, hunting, or such like topics, guy with beard beats clean shaven guy.

Boots wearing guy beats loafers/sneakers/flip flops wearing guy.

As such, I have a full beard and I'm wearing nice Ariat work boots and jeans. No one questions me...

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I buy boot covers in bulk and wear them to every appointment. I also have a stock of coloring books and crayons for kids... parents appreciate both.
I like the colour book idea, never thought of it, I know people have suggested using teddy bears.

As for boot covers, if I am just going to a sit down meeting with a client I just remove my boots.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
5. Selling upgrades - Always presenting at least 5 and as many as 10 optional upgrades that might make sense with separate pricing

6. Selling exclusions - Listing what is not included in a proposal that could have been or might have been.
Along those lines I offer the triple option pricing in my estimate. Package #1 has excessive bells and whistles and it is ridiculously overpriced. Package #2 is dirt cheap but it does not serve their purpose. Package #3 is exactly what they want for the "real" price.

They think that they are choosing but I am actually choosing for them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts