Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was a loser tonight. why? i did'nt bring the passion i usually bring.
the home owners did'nt say anything,they seemed to of liked me but i know deep down i did'nt bring my "A-game"; i was'nt prepared . passion is contageous and its an absolute necessity in home remodeling.
usually i go for a jog and do some weight training the day of my sales calls not to mention preparing for what i am going to say. today i did'nt do that so the lesson here is learn from my mistakes! be prepared and bring that passion. if you don't have passion for what you are selling then you are selling the wrong products!
love this site by the way.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
i was a loser tonight. why? i did'nt bring the passion i usually bring.
the home owners did'nt say anything,they seemed to of liked me but i know deep down i did'nt bring my "A-game"; i was'nt prepared . passion is contageous and its an absolute necessity in home remodeling.
usually i go for a jog and do some weight training the day of my sales calls not to mention preparing for what i am going to say. today i did'nt do that so the lesson here is learn from my mistakes! be prepared and bring that passion. if you don't have passion for what you are selling then you are selling the wrong products!
love this site by the way.
I do 3+ a day I cant imagine having to do all that preparing for each one...:blink:

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do more of a presentation opposed to estimates..i really need to bring my "A GAME" or else i get lost. i am actually pissed off that in did'nt prepare for this.however,i look at it in a possitive light; its a learning experience and every set back is a set up.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
i do more of a presentation opposed to estimates..i really need to bring my "A GAME" or else i get lost. i am actually pissed off that in did'nt prepare for this.however,i look at it in a possitive light; its a learning experience and every set back is a set up.
We dont do any estimates. Exact price proposals with product demonstration. You should really be excited about your product all the time

·
Banned
306 Posts
What is up with all the salesman lately?

Am I the only one who read "Death of a Salesman" in High School?

Why do you guys act like you have to close every single sale? Who feeds you this crap? Are you sure whoever is feeding you this, is not doing so just to grind you down to a stump of a man? "Im a loser" WTF! is that?

Who cares if the customer did not go with the sale. Do you guys ever suspect that high pressure sales, turns people off?

I know, when I see someone acting like I have to buy, I run the other way.

When I go to a customers house, I give them my price, and I leave... I do not shave, smile, lie, walk the dog, or promise blue sky...

Honestly, why do you guys place so much pressure on yourselfs, and channel it to the customers?

I suspect, if your not getting the sale. The problem is A) Your Overselling or B) The product your selling blows. If the product your selling blows, why blame yourself?

·
Banned
306 Posts
We dont do any estimates. Exact price proposals with product demonstration. You should really be excited about your product all the time
Come On! How can you always be excited about your product? Do you really think thats the answer? :sick:

Im dying of cynicism right now... Im going to bed...

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if a carpenter is'nt passionate about what he does he won't be a very good carpernter. same with a salesman. we need to be passionate,thats what seperates the good from the average. anyone can just settle for mediocrity..why not be the best you can be. so yes,i get pissed everytime i don't get a sale and thats what keeps me pumping. its all about being focused and determined.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Come On! How can you always be excited about your product? Do you really think thats the answer? :sick:

Im dying of cynicism right now... Im going to bed...
If your not excited about your product why are you selling it?

·
Banned
306 Posts
If your not excited about your product why are you selling it?
To pay the bills.... feed my family....

the product is me ... :notworthy

IMO carpenters are not passionate, "humble" and "honest" are better attributes. I wonder if the workers who come to the job after you guys sell it, really appreciate your "passion"?

What do you guys promise.. in your fits of passion?

Last time I was "passionate" about anything, I think I stuck my tongue into somethin pretty sh*tty. At least it was me who had to deal with the consequences after the passion had left.

Who has to keep all the promises you guys make? hmmmm? Maybe you guys dont stick around long enough to find out? What happens to all that passion after you make the sale?

Thats the difference, If I get passionate about making a sale, I have to "pay" for it.. since Im the guy who has to do the work, fill all the promises, and also the guy who has to collect the final payment.

The whole concept of using "salesman" to sell the trades, just sounds funny to me... ecspecially when you factor in "high pressure" tactics. If that is how its done in other parts of the country, then Im learning something new...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
To pay the bills.... feed my family....
You could accomplish that much easier working for someone... Whats the point?

·
Banned
306 Posts
:surrender:

on second thought....:gunsmilie:

By working for someone else, Im taking my services off the market... I am different from my competitors, some of my competitors are better than me, for some jobs. I can see it.

Maybe this is what bothers me, about salesmen. They act like what they are selling, is the best thing for everyone.

Have you ever talked to a customer, and thought "hey, maybe Im not the best solution to your problem" Reading some salesman's posts, It seems like the only thing that matters is making the close...

I don't believe I can make everyone happy, and Im not going to mis-represent myself or my services, just to get a contract signed. Im certainly not going to feel like a "loser" for being honest, and walking away.

You guys are hard to categorize. You are not hacks. Who you sell for is probably totally legal, and above the table. But, that "winner" "loser" attitude about closing a sale, is the one thing that weakens your character IMO.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Patrick
you seem to be very passionate about what you do. i bet you are very successful and respected in your industry.
for those of you that are'nt passionate and doing it "just to pay the bills"; why not work in a factory and get a steady pay check? whats your purpose in life? is'nt life supposed to be partially based on doing something you love ?

·
Banned
306 Posts
Welter...

If you are so passionate about what you do, Why haven't you told me

What it is, your Selling?

Also, yes, hopefully we all are doing things we enjoy. Fact is, most aren't.

I actually enjoy what I do.

So, what is it you do? Besides ramp yourself up, to face a customer?

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i mostly sell doors,windows,and to a lesser extent,siding. i love talking about my products and that passion gets picked up by the customer,they actually get excited. why? because my passion is real. most customers can sense someone thats not being straight.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Your selling doors, windows, and siding...

Well you have a ton of competition... some of 'em are big companies, with an army of Dilberts slaving away in cubicles trying to out think you.

Passion is probably a good thing, for what your up against. You are not a "loser" if you don't close every sale... Good luck

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the reason i said "loser" was due to the fact that i did'nt prepare myself which means i did'nt give it my best shot. thats what i am most upset about. however today is a new day and i have a presentation later.

·
DavidMoore
17 Posts
Welterweight

You have the right attitude and don't let anyone of make you think otherwise.

And you SHOULD expect to win every single sale you present. And if you don't get 100%, you can figure out why with each "loss". A few weeks ago, someone posted about getting "pissed off" after losing a sale. What's wrong with being so competitive that that you want to win 100% of the time? Maybe that's what it takes to reach 50% wins in your industry.

It's guys like you, hungry, aggressive and passionate, that beat the crap out of lazy, complacent competitiion.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the inspiring words David.. its all about passion and determination. that goes with anything in life. i believe we all must strive to be the best we could be and what better way to exercise that than with something you enjoy doing.
why be a cookie cutter salesman,a cookie cutter framer,a cookie cutter engineer. think outside the box,be a little different. quite frankley i think being passionate and determined is being different as most people are not like that. they just "go with the flow" and blame the ecomomy,their boss,the customer and everything else they can think of. who do i blame when something does'nt go my way? MYSELF ! what do i do? i try to learn from it and try to determine where i went wrong. you certianly can't win them all but its those that think they could that separates us.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts