Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you consider yourself a sales person, what kinds of training do you have? Personally I brain wash myself with sales and motivational audio books on CD while drive.

I want to broaden my horizons! Should I invest in some kind of sales training by a consultant?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I work for carpet one, and they send me to sales trainings, and there is also training online. Plus I have shopped for cars often, so I know what NOT to do.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Florcraft said:
I work for carpet one, and they send me to sales trainings, and there is also training online. Plus I have shopped for cars often, so I know what NOT to do.
I like shopping for cars, it's so much fun to hard ball those guys. I can't get my boss to spring for any real sales training since we are a small company and unfortunately my budget doesnt allow for anything other than sure fire training courses!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have a reputation for walking into Car showrooms, and asking for their worst salesman, cause I know I will get the best price...:) The look on their face is priceless.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Florcraft said:
I have a reputation for walking into Car showrooms, and asking for their worst salesman, cause I know I will get the best price...:) The look on their face is priceless.
When my boss and I bought my truck we sat in the office for 4 hours and they only got us to budge on our price $50. It got down to arguing over $50 and I was starving!

·
Turtle Herder
42 Posts
Selling is easy...asking for the money is hard.

I used to train car salesmen at a very successful import dealership where if you had their logo on your trunk lid, everybody knew that you'd been screwed by the best.

Feature benefit sales presentations are the basis. Tell the customer why the bamboo is a better alternative to flooring than oak or whatever and then hit 'em with how this larger and somewhat abstract idea will make their life easier, safer, etc. every day. Once you've accomplished the educational part of the presentation you can try the trial close and go back to review all of their previous affirmative nods and statements, before closing again. It's all pretty simple and you can probably get more than you want or need on-line about it. But the one thing that I have noticed about training sales people is that when it comes time to ask for the check , or signature, many people go cold and loose their nerve.

They start to act like they have something to apologize for or actually talk themselves into and out of a sale because they are so terrified of simply saying, "I need a check for $*** dated for today and you can make that out to..."

I call it my presumptive close. I act as though it's a forgone conclusion that the sale is done, all but them paying me, so pay me and I'll be on my way. Assuming I've answered all of their questions and effectively dealt with any objections while meeting their wants and needs why shouldn't I expect to get paid?

It ain't rocket science, in spite of the thousands of books written on the subject that may make you think otherwise. I've also found that being physically very hungry helps to motivate one to close sales more efficiently. Knowing that the gnawing in your stomach is going to get a lot worse if you're not successful has a tendency to keep one focused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts