Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your definition of Salary?

When I have an employee that is salary and they miss a day for whatever reason, I don't pay them for that day, does anyone else do this? Now on the other hand, say they show up and work lets say 1/2 day, I still pay them for a full day.

Just wanting to get some opinions on how everyone else does it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Use the work clock punching their hour cards. If you are weak/liberal/friendly, they will take advantage of your system. If you are strong & straight up, they will respect your system/authority! ..No exception!

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
even tho they are salary i still make them use a time card, this way I can make sure they aren't going into overtime.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
In that case, if it were me.. I would show/provide them their hours worked and automatically substract the no-show hours. No need to explain why if you provide them time sheet to look, fill, or correct frequently (EVERY WEEK) like that... then they will understand your position in this hard-time but stressful economy & no complainmo. :whistling

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh believe me they have seen there timesheeets and that isn't the question, they still argue about "oh I am salary if I miss work I should still be paid" Well in the employee handbook you signed and agreed to it doesn't state that, so you get paid based on what you work.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
When I was salary, I got paid the same if I was there for 1 hour or 15 hours. Had to work untill the job was done 5 days a week then half day on saturday. Then when winter rolled around and I worked only a couple days a week the check was the same as killing myself in summer.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Only time I was paid salary was when I was a supervisor and I was paid the same regardless of how many or how few hours I worked.

I have never paid my employees a salary, they are hourly wage. I have always paid myself a salary.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I agree, "salary" system is different from "hourly wage" system. CsCalf, if they are your salaried workers & your booklet says so, nothing you can do.. Labor law protect them (if they sue back), I'm sorry.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, "salary" system is different from "hourly wage" system. CsCalf, if they are your salaried workers & your booklet says so, nothing you can do.. Labor law protect them (if they sue back), I'm sorry.
It says very clear that there salary is based off of a 40 hr workweek so in order to be paid a salary an employee must work at least 40 hours a week, if the employee is not able to work a full 40 hours regardless of the situation they must work 1/2 day to receive a full days pay.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
You may want to check out the US Dept of Labor website and read the salary requirements. If you are paying non-exempt employees salary and not paying overtime as required, you could find yourself in trouble.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may want to check out the US Dept of Labor website and read the salary requirements. If you are paying non-exempt employees salary and not paying overtime as required, you could find yourself in trouble.

I pay overtime to my normal hourly laborers, but salary guys, I don't let them work over 40 a week

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
You only have 3 options for salaried workers who MUST work 40 hours:

1. Hold an employee meeting requesting them all report to work by sign in & out for 8 hours full per day. Always make sure to have work available to them for full 8 hours & don't let them sit or they go home early, so when they come late, they must stay late and finish what others left off earlier, and wait for 8 hours to punch out, etc.

2. Discipline by oral warning or written statement. First time violation oral, second or subsequent times are written & they MUST signed acknowledge mistakes have been done, etc. Maybe no bonus are given at year end is another option to stimulate their work habits too, etc. (However, these rules must be clearly spelled out FIRST in booklet).

3. Lastly, fire them if they still violate your work rules, & go overboard even after your warning/discipline, or switch them to hourly wage status when their yearly or work contract with you ending soon (if any)?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ever since I graduated college, every job I had was a salary position. Nobody tracked my hours. I was never paid overtime even though I rarely worked less than 50 hours a week. That is the whole point of being a salary employee. Part of my benefits were vacation time and personal days (although I think I only used 1 or 2 personal day ever). If you were sick you would use one of your personal days but you would still get paid. If you ran out of personal days you would likely be fired. Vacation days were paid as well.

If you are paying your guys salary and they aren't working more than 40 hours a week you are being way too nice in my opinion. I had some times when we were under the gun to get some houses completed where I would work 7 days a week and never got paid a dime extra for overtime or anything. Nor did I expect to. I think one time I worked 26 days in a row without any overtime (boy did I hear it from my wife). Being a salary employee is a privilege that has it's perks (steady paycheck, better pay, good benefits, bonuses, etc) as well as it's disadvantages (long hours). This isn't the union!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts

When I have an employee that is salary and they miss a day for whatever reason, I don't pay them for that day, does anyone else do this? Now on the other hand, say they show up and work lets say 1/2 day, I still pay them for a full day.

Just wanting to get some opinions on how everyone else does it.

Thanks!
Who is this you are paying salary to? It's pretty tough to legally pay a worker salary in the construction business unless you have some different cicumstances.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Other than employee retention, it's hard to see the benefits in paying salaries.

You are still legally liable for overtime pay for any hours worked over 40. Might as well just pay hourly from the time clock. That way you'll get screwed a lot less for time not worked.

I've had very good employees become bad employees after being put on salary. When the work was slow they were happy to take your money. But when things got busy, they didn't want to make up for the slack time previously paid.

·
4,617 Posts
In the USA, we don't have the luxury of defining salary in any fashion we care to. We have to adhere to the US Dept of Labor's interpretation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Salary, exemptions from overtime, and job classifications are predefined and we must comply. If you're in doubt, consult an attorney familiar with labor law.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't understand why you are paying them on a salary basis, there is no advantage for them or you the way you are doing it. If you paid them hourly there would be no questions or problems with the pay.

Way back whenh we were a larger company I had a few key salaried employees. These were supervisory postions like site super, site foremen, whatever you want to call it. They were considered exempt employees so this was the advantage for me, and the advantage for them was when it was slow they still got a paycheck every other week. And the other advantage for me was when work picked up they were there ready to go. But you got to make sure the profit is there to be able to do this.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Who is this you are paying salary to? It's pretty tough to legally pay a worker salary in the construction business unless you have some different cicumstances.
Your not just stupid your a little insane.

You owe him alot of back pay. Hope he doesn't seek leagl advice on you.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts

:blink: Look outside the bathroom box. Huge national construction companies even large regional and large area companies. Have vast amounts of salaried staff in on site field offices.

I know you think a guy that can't hack it with the hacks in the hack game are failures. :laughing: No we don't go to work for our competition. We work for the big boys on the block.

You ever work for big national construction company?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
:blink: Look outside the bathroom box. Huge national construction companies even large regional and large area companies. Have vast amounts of salaried staff in on site field offices.

I know you think a guy that can't hack it with the hacks in the hack game are failures. :laughing: No we don't go to work for our competition. We work for the big boys on the block.

You ever work for big national construction company?
Hey brain box --

Statics show taking total gross wages in construction field less then 3% of construction wages are paid on salary.

97% are hourly.

I guess by those numbers 32 out of 33 people in the construction field are paid hourly.

Pretty safe to assume if you're in construction and paid salary you're a statistical abberation, and you're more than 50% likely to be clerical or administrative and not in the field.

If you're a field worker being paid a salary you're more than likely being paid illegally, no different game then the employee/independent contractor game.

Get it or do we need to explain it again?

<Lesson over.>

Here I'll thrown in a smiley face for you.............. :laughing:

Now go back to the P&R section and sulk for the rest of the day.

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts