Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Sakrete motar/stucco for parging? Was thinking of adding some sand for finishing and spraying on the bonder/fortifier first.

I dont need alot and they only sell straight up portland in 90lb bags.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
I've used in on foundation walls . I liked it and finished pretty good with sponge . My coat was thin coat's of two . I think the bonder is a must .

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Ive used a lot of the mortar mix. I would use the type S professional grade, as the yellow bags are quite horrible and not suitable for anything really.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Yeah the Umaco base coat has the fiber in it, although I didnt know you could sponge it. I put it under a synthetic I did this summer, was just like their Utrowel.

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the parging is growing. The side steps are fully parged, risers, treads the works. It has to be 50+ yrs old.
I really want no part of this but its an ederly family member so no matter who I send there to do work she feels like shes being robbed. So being the nice guy that I am I help her often for peanuts over supplies when I have time.
So these stairs are layered and layered with Thoroseal. I began chipping off all the layers to the block. More to do but most came of fairly easy.
What is the correct way to redo this, first coat notched trowel and then finish coat or can one heavy coat do it with special mix or mesh?

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
How much time are you planning on putting in on a set of steps? Not many steps would take more then a day to build on most houses.

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much time are you planning on putting in on a set of steps? Not many steps would take more then a day to build on most houses.
Thats a loaded question, the structure is good its the finishing that has is need of attention. I will make the effort to do it the right way. I realized after typing this that without a concrete or limestone tread it will always become a maintanance concern. Being its a side door with very low traffic she got many years of life by just adding the Thoroseal on it time to time.

Like I said I will do my best to do the parging even if that means a few trips. I usually only go there to say hello and help out a few hrs.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts