Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Resident Lurker
59 Posts
What about if the trusses were modified in the attic for ductwork or a plumbing vent ? I have seen quite a few homes with enough butchered framing to make you run for your life. Liek the plumber who hacks through 90% of a few floor joists, the electrican who drills 35 holes in a row in the middle of a joist, or the HVAC installer that hacks out every roof truss framing web in the way of his trunk line...:eek: Odds are that the roof was straight when it was framed up 20 years ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
LJ, that was my question. A plumbing vent in residential should be no more than 4" usually and considering trusses are generally 24" o.c. why would you be hacking them apart. And the HVAC guy doesn't have a specific location for his supplies or his returns. A few inches this way or that won't make a difference as far as he' s concerned. As long as you stack your framing members there shouldn't be a reason to mess with the structure.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The framer is responsible for reading the plans thoroughly enough to know where the W.C. is at and spacing his joists accordingly. Other than that there aren't any specific confines. If the architecht/engineer knows what he's doing he'll stack the bathrooms and first floor sink will line up with second floor sink.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Most of us have dealt with trussed hip roofs. The sags could not be from that or the jacks would also sag at their connection to the hip. Because the jacks have a vertical leg at their attachment to the hip, the sag would also extend down to the ceilings below. This would be very obvious.

Most likely, the builder bought a truss roof but constructed his own hips and jacks to save money, I have seen this done by guys who substitute saving pennies for building a decent structure. The Hips and jacks are probably stick framed as on a regular stick framed roof. There are no webs or verticals installed. In this case, undersizing the hip rafter would result in a sag that would not project through to the ceilings below.
This was exactly my thought too. Builder ordered commons, installed them and then stick built the hip / ridge to them. (he said 5' or so on the ridge horizontal fall)

Obviously, the framer didn't know how to do this very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A close friend asked me to drive by a house him and his wife are wanting to buy and see if there is any obvious things that might be problems.
It has a hip roof and every hip rafter sages at least six inches in the middle. The ridge drops about 4 inches from about 5 foot from where the hip rafters tie into it.
I told him what I saw and he called the realtor who supposedly
sent a roofing contractor out to look at it and the contractor told him the roof was solid but it was framed with trusses and the builder didn't set the trusses right so that caused the bow and the drop in the ridge.
I've set a lot of trusses and know that hips can weave in and out but I've never seen trusses cause sags in hips.
Long story short, the realtor got my name and called me and gave me heck for messing with his house. I told him if he would let me go over there and get in the attic and if it was just sloppy construction I would agree with his roofer but the realtor wouldn't let me so I'm pretty sure my speculation is right on.
Has anyone ever seen trusses for hips sag?
I've seen hip rafters sag but never trusses.
Home made trusses?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts