Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to this site but not to the painting. There is a wealth of knoledge to be learned from this forum. I use SW products religiously. I am very much into exterior spraying and would rather spray a 1x10 that wraps around a house then brush and roll it. Being hell bent on exterior spraying has led me to wonder about the interior use. Are there laws that prohibit the use of a sprayer in a residential home where children occupy the space. I've been brush and rolling my customs and even paint drying around children seems like a health hazard and kinda makes me nervous. Is this all covered in the General Liability Insurance that I cary. If the heater is off during spray time can i legally put everyone in the other room? I feel like I should know this stuff maybe ill call osha but....you know. Also do most guys that do interior spraying tell the insurance lady that thats what they are doing? The rates are HIGH. Is this conversation not light enough for this site? I'm trying to learn something here any insite welcome. Anyone that doesnt warrant spraying need not apply thank you. :cool:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
What kind of paint are you using? Oil or latex?

I've never really had any of my customers or there children near me while I've been painting. If there was a little kid near me while I was spraying a room I think I would charge extra for that, but then again I don't tend to like other peoples children very much. ;)

Can't you just politely ask the home owner to keep them, their pets amd children out of the room for the length of the dry time at least? I think most customers would be more than happy to follow a guidline like that.

As for insurance I tell her only what she asks and usually limit it to one or two word answers ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess i should have specified that the people would be in another room. And I'd use latex. One or two words. Right. O K. Got it. Thanks. Have a. good one. :cheesygri

·
Registered
108 Posts
well i am also into spraying whenever i can. I will spray gutters window trims, and pretty much everything if i can. However i always carry a shield and brush religiously when i am spraying. I carry a shield for extra protection against overspray and the brush for brushing in porus wood on siding and eves and for hard to reach places. On interiors, if the house is pretty much empty and not much stuff to mask, then i spray it, and the homeowneres always leave the premise, in fact if i am going to spray i discuss with the home owner if they can leave the home on the day i am going to spray. The paint dries quick enough by the evening when they come back there is no problem.

In all the times that i have sprayed interiors i have never had a problem. Just remember to open windows and doors when you are done to let the house air out.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
I wouldn't want to spray an interior repaint. Seems like going around your elbow to get to your arse with all the extra covering, wrapping, precautions, not to mention static build up with a pilot light out :eek: etc...

As far as pets,kids, goats etc.. my contract states that the work area shall remain free from such pest during working hours...due to ins. liability dont cha know

1 - 5 of 5 Posts