Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering windows for a customer, I have 14 in all, but I am a little unsure of myself on one point.

2 of the windows being replaced, a 8'0"x 6'0" and a 6'0"x 6'0" have are being replaced with 2 smaller windows each (basically 2- 4'0"x6'0" SH minus 2 1/4" a piece, and 2- 3'0"x6'0" SH minus 2 1/4" a piece. 3 2x4's for a mullion in between the windows.)

The windows are both within 18" of the floor so they will need to be tempered glass. Now for the kicker, does the whole window have to be tempered or just the active?? The 4'0"x6'0" SH will have a pane that is greater than 9 sq. ft so I would assume that these windows will need to be all tempered whereas the 3'0"x 6'0" once you account for the vinyl frame will only need the actives tempered. Am I right or wrong??

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I am ordering windows for a customer, I have 14 in all, but I am a little unsure of myself on one point.

2 of the windows being replaced, a 8'0"x 6'0" and a 6'0"x 6'0" have are being replaced with 2 smaller windows each (basically 2- 4'0"x6'0" SH minus 2 1/4" a piece, and 2- 3'0"x6'0" SH minus 2 1/4" a piece. 3 2x4's for a mullion in between the windows.)

The windows are both within 18" of the floor so they will need to be tempered glass. Now for the kicker, does the whole window have to be tempered or just the active?? The 4'0"x6'0" SH will have a pane that is greater than 9 sq. ft so I would assume that these windows will need to be all tempered whereas the 3'0"x 6'0" once you account for the vinyl frame will only need the actives tempered. Am I right or wrong??
Depends on where your located and the inspector.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am on the olympic Peninsula, WA state and because it is an r and r in the county a permit, and therefore an inspection is not necessary. I am asking this question purely based off the IRC.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I am on the olympic Peninsula, WA state and because it is an r and r in the county a permit, and therefore an inspection is not necessary. I am asking this question purely based off the IRC.
again its a gray area All glass within 18" of the floor must be tempered. Its up to an inspector to make that determination. Some window manufactures you will find you have to beg them to put two different kinds of glass in the window mainly because its so easy for them to screw it up

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am installing Milgard StyleLines, you can order w/ 2 types of glass, we'll see if they can keep it straight. I think I will call the county in the morning and see what they say.

·
slave driver
82 Posts
safety glass

For the piece of mind of safety the cost of tempered safety glass is cheap compared to a law suit or worse any serious injury to someone.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to the county this morning. They said that all that was need was to have the actives tempered, the fixed pane is high enough that it was not an issue.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, no windows within 2' of the arch of the door. Only safety glazing concern is 2 low windows. This house was built in the 70's has 92" ceilings and some big windows in the living room.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Safety Glass

Glad to hear the question is answered.

For what it's worth, the dimension you mentioned (within 18" of the floor) is not a universal building code. It can vary from state to state. In my neck of the woods it can be much less than 18" off the floor and still not be tempered. Anything real close to the floor I would normally still order as tempered, but it's not a requirement.

Bottom line: it's best to check local and state codes. That can easily be done online these days if one knows where to look. :thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
can you order a window with one sash tempered the other not? I don't recall it being an option on order forms in the past w/ Simonton-maybe with other suppliers though. The cost difference would be small at that point-the weight savings on the other hand would be great!

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The windows I am installing are Milgards and one can order one sash with tempered and the other standard glass. I am ordering them w/ tempered actives (SH).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts