Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought several new Pella 250 vinyl windows, new construction style, for a remodel project on my house. House exterior is painted block, no stucco or siding. I'll be installing these direct set, using Tapcons into the block. Because of Covid-related supply chain problems, it took about two months for these windows to arrive. It turns out that I ordered these windows incorrectly and they contain a 5/8" masonry flange. I need to remove a part of this flange so that I can install these windows. Even ignoring the cost to buy the correct windows without a masonry flange, I can't afford another two months delay on this project while I wait for new windows to arrive.

The shop I bought these from advised cutting off 9/16" of the masonry flange that I don't need. They advised using a multi-tool to cut it but I don't trust myself to cut a straight line (not when it counts). My current plan is to create a jig to position a circular saw track square on the window so that I can cut it with a circular saw. I'm planning to buy a blade like this to use: https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Classic-Circular-087-inch-11840/dp/B0002UKS82. I've included a few pictures which show the part of the flange that I need to remove, from the front and the back.

Do you think this plan, with this blade, will produce a quality cut? I want to avoid chipping, breaking of the material, etc. Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice?

Also, in looking at the pictures, you'll see a vertical seam where the masonry flange attaches to the frame. I thought at first that I could simply pry this away, but this seam is 1/4" to the inside of the frame. If I remove this, I'm not sure what the face of the frame will look like and I'm concerned that I'll have too wide of a space to caulk per Florida building code (max caulk width is 1/4" if I recall correctly). Does anyone know what the frame will look like if I pry this flange away completely?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,050 Posts
I bought several new Pella 250 vinyl windows, new construction style, for a remodel project on my house. House exterior is painted block, no stucco or siding. I'll be installing these direct set, using Tapcons into the block. Because of Covid-related supply chain problems, it took about two months for these windows to arrive. It turns out that I ordered these windows incorrectly and they contain a 5/8" masonry flange. I need to remove a part of this flange so that I can install these windows. Even ignoring the cost to buy the correct windows without a masonry flange, I can't afford another two months delay on this project while I wait for new windows to arrive.

The shop I bought these from advised cutting off 9/16" of the masonry flange that I don't need. They advised using a multi-tool to cut it but I don't trust myself to cut a straight line (not when it counts). My current plan is to create a jig to position a circular saw track square on the window so that I can cut it with a circular saw. I'm planning to buy a blade like this to use: https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Classic-Circular-087-inch-11840/dp/B0002UKS82. I've included a few pictures which show the part of the flange that I need to remove, from the front and the back.

Do you think this plan, with this blade, will produce a quality cut? I want to avoid chipping, breaking of the material, etc. Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice?

Also, in looking at the pictures, you'll see a vertical seam where the masonry flange attaches to the frame. I thought at first that I could simply pry this away, but this seam is 1/4" to the inside of the frame. If I remove this, I'm not sure what the face of the frame will look like and I'm concerned that I'll have too wide of a space to caulk per Florida building code (max caulk width is 1/4" if I recall correctly). Does anyone know what the frame will look like if I pry this flange away completely?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Www.diychatroom.com for help. This site is for professional contractors.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.