Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few of a current job, a safe room incorporated in a 30 x 80 steel frame building. This is a post and beam style, weld connection, and pretty basic.

The pictures show the safe room layout and start, and it is 22 long by 16 wide, and will have a lite deck cap, and will be poured monolithic. More pictures to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are you German? Because you build a mean bunker.

Bravo Zulu.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope....just as advertised....a safe room, after all, this is tornado country. Of Course, surrounded by 6 inches of concrete and no windows makes for a pretty secure sleeping environment.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Nope....just as advertised....a safe room, after all, this is tornado country. Of Course, surrounded by 6 inches of concrete and no windows makes for a pretty secure sleeping environment.
Sounds like a place my wife would want me to sleep.

SNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOR

What's wind load capacity on that building?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The steel building itself is engineered for 90 mph straight line wind....the safe room will stand about anything a storm can put out. The University of Texas has rated them for 250 mph winds with projectiles, and they take it without a dent.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you ever seen a icf home weather a good tornado? I'm curious how the exterior would hold up,it looks like it would tear off the foam and maybe the plastic strips to a point where it would be a pita to repair?Just curious!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Debris in the wind cause the significant damage...like windows, and of course, roof structures fail. If the entire home has a concrete roof, it would survive, but windows and doors still present a problem. We use a certified steel door for these safe rooms, but they are not what you would call architecturally pleasing.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joasis,
Is this a franchised system?
Franchised how? The ICF's? Nope...you can hook up with a supplier and get with it.

Not too many years ago, the ICF manufacturers were "selling" distributorships, and offering "protected" territories, but those days are past, as far as I know. I buy from Buildblock, http://www.buildblock.com/ but there are lots of different blocks....Fox Block makes a good product, as Reward Wall also, but I am not married to any particular system...I may try Logix on the next ICF we do, and I have 2 in the works right now.

Steel building manufacturers are all over....follow the prints, have the equipment, and it is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The columns are 3x3 11ga square tubes, and the foam is cut away, so they do not actually penetrate the concrete, so no....no worries. I will actually weld some lugs to the columns just for fun.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I started to look into them just before doing my home as an alternative method,and there were no local distributors.I was offered a protected territory for my area but didn't have the time to spend promotionally,so I let it go.
It would have been more for the energy savings prospective,since we don't need the wind protection.

But anyways,keep the pics coming.Love this stuff!

·
Registered
440 Posts
How does the ICF work? Does the foam stay in place after the pour? How do you fasten drywall, siding, etc. to ICF walls? How does that foam roof support the weight of the concrete until it sets?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is enough filtered light in the pictures to see the "studs" and channels in the foam. Drywall attaches to it, and yes, it stays in place. The lite deck gets shored up inside, and then the shoring stays in place for 2 weeks at least after the pour.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ICF is the dogs donullys, it really is the way of the future, energy efficent, strong, modular and really rapid build, pics look v.good joasis. I wish we had tornadoes over here, they look like they are a great business creator!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts