Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have this yet or have used it? If you have, does it actually work. It seems like it could be quite useful for nailing in areas where swinging a hammer just isnt possible.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Why exactly would you be using a drill for driving nails?

If you need to drive nails where a hammer won't fit, spend $40 on a mini palm nailer.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Do you mean the electric hammer?

If so I have not used it.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to home depots website and type in Ryobi Hammer Drill and watch the video on it. It isn't an actual drill.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Hammer drill won't get you very far, since it isn't a drill. They call it an "auto hammer", and it's basically a cordless palm nailer. I'd have to see how many nails it could drive on a charge, and how fast it could drive them. From the video, it doesn't look very fast. I could probably drive the nail with a hammer faster, so the only thing it would really be good for is to have around for those times when you don't have a gun rolled out, can't quite get the nail in with a hammer, and don't want to roll out the compressor, hose, and palm nailer. If you already have a gun rolled out, it's just as easy to swap in the pneumatic palm nailer.

The part where the guy is using it to do roofing is comical though.:thumbsup:

Edit: here is the link to the thing:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...productId=202014971&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

And here is the link to the video:
http://www6.homedepot.com/tv/hdtv_player.html?videoID=000843

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I don't see any where this listed as a "hammer drill". Both HD and the Ryobi website list it as an Auto Hammer.

Would I personally buy one? No. I'd just use a palm nailer.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I can see something like that coming in handy when you would want to use your palm nailer to get into a tough spot but don't want to pull out the compressor for only a few nails.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
when i saw it on cool tools it looked like it jumped around to much. Like the opening jumped around the nail head a lot. I think craftsman has one.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
when i saw it on cool tools it looked like it jumped around to much. Like the opening jumped around the nail head a lot. I think craftsman has one.
Yup, and oddly Ryobi makes
some of the Craftsman power tools.
A palm nailer has some mass, those
things don't.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I dont know why I called it a Hammer Drill. The roofing part also makes no sense. I thought it could come in handy on some siding projects because I worked on one wehre the soffit was at a 45 degree angle two feet over and I couldnt for the life of me get a nail to sit into the J-Channel right.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
If you have a gun rolled out, then using a palm nailer will be just as easy. If you do a fair amount of nailing in tight spots, and don't have a gun rolled out, you will get more use out of this thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts