Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I try to wipe them down good after I clean off. I once made the mistake of hitting one with a brillo pad. The knife was no good after that it rusted all to hell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I rarley wash my knives with water...usaually just scrape them clean with another knife. Standing mud or moisture will rust them very quickly. My local Lowes carries stainless knives as well as other online sites. Wallboard makes my knive of choice...has a very comfortable feel. I've had friends and coworkers that wipe thiers down with wd40 at the end of the day too.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Sheetrock26 said:
I rarley wash my knives with water...usaually just scrape them clean with another knife.
My brother-in-law too. He's been doing drywall for 25 years and always cleans tools up before the job not after.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mike,

That is an easy answer.......Check the yellow pages under "Sheetrock" or "Drywall".

They would love to hear the phone ring. :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clean before job, not after, that is interesting.

It just seems like it really shouldn't be that hard to make a tool that is exposed to moisture that doesn't rust. The drywall tools I use are usually the ones carried by the Home Depot so I wondered if they were just DIY quality and maybe if I could find a supply house that drywallers use that they would carry a better line of tools. I guess I will check Lowes.

I also need a knock down knife, I have been using my wide drywall knives up to now but I think I could get better results with an actual knock down tool, but I don't see them anywhere local.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Been in the finishing biz for more yrs than I care to admit. For my $$ you can't beat a goldblatt knife, marshalltowns are real good too. I use a cheap scrub brush from the dollar store to clean them up after each use with water, then wipe completely dry with a rag, then spray them down good with wd-40 or equilivant, the generic brand works just as good. Main thing though, don't buy the house brand knives from HD or Lowes, they are just 1-2 time use & ready for the dumpster. That's what I let my son use when he wants to work with me during the summer, that way when he inevitably bends a corner or whatever, I don't mind throwing them away.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, The Lowe's here had a whole section full of SS tools prior to the hurricanes. The place has been nutzo ever since and no one seems to know where they went, maybe they sold out.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mike,

I imagine Colorado Drywall Supply is still in bus out there in Denver, used to make the hr drive up there fairly regularly for tools and beads when I lived in the springs. I have always found that quality tools are cheaper through my local supplier than even the big bix stores, of course at the supply yard you get a contractor's discount, where at the big bix places you pay what the sticker says period, no haggling. Ames also has a store there in Denver as well, or least they used to, Ames makes some excellent finishing boxes and angle tools, but they are real proud of them too. I've gone to Columbia for all my boxes and angleheads, very nice tools at about half the price of Ames. Best tool supplier round these parts is Negwer, not sure if they've got a location out in the mile high city or not. I've also bought a few items from all-wall.com, great prices, good service, and they have absolutely everything. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
oh my guy..how long have you been taping?

get a can of wd 40 after you clean tools spray. personally i don't clean tools anymore till i get to where i need to use them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mike,
If in drywall tools you mean knives and a hawk, I scrape off the big chunks at the end of the day. The next day I scrape them off again and then hit with a sanding block. I've found it best not to clean with water because water might not always be an option on the job site. I also use a 6" stainless knife that I leave in my bucket off mud and only clean it about once a month.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow,this is an old post.

Threw out all the old knives and bought all stainless steel about a week after this post began, never looked back, no rust, clean em up throw them in the drywall bag, pull them out for next job and they look brand new. The last thing I have time for is screwing around with cleaning rust off of a drywall knife when there is an alternative product. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Mike,

hear ya, we got rid of the crap a long time ago, we have only been using Stainless---- for quite a while now... I still don't know why:

a.) Anyone makes anything other than stainless D/W tools.

b.) Why anyone would buy anything other than Stainless??

c.) Why people dig up OLD POSTS??;)

-my 2 cents (running outa cents)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts