Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks sharp, not a fan of the brick through throws of the mortar beds,

Just seen the other pics that brick is the worst, must of been a bastard to build plumb,
How come the bed joints don't line up in the 2 nd last pic.

View attachment 99462
They decided at the end to brick this, where the curve starts, I had 3 different overhang heights to contend with,
The problem i was aware with before bricking with, and I was for joining both walls with 10 ins. of Spina di pesce (fish spines) but was ORDERED to leave be.

Anyways…
found a few picts. of an orphanage in Romania from 12yrs. ago

Property Wall House Architecture Home

Property Architecture Building Residential area Neighbourhood

Architecture Building Roof House Tree

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These brick are are made to be like old, and they allow a tollerance 3/8th an in. length, and an 1/8th in. Height
I do not trim the brick to length, if I am not paid to.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they actual are not that bad, the brick you kinda get use to. the strange thing is, the more they are cricked, and off measurement, the more expensive they are

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
View attachment 99463

Architect was an ass,
anyways

Having never met the person I will have to take your word for it. One thing that seems quite apparent is they never read their country mans fine work: The Seven Books Of Architecture by Andrea Palladio (1508-1580)

Reason being those arches depicted in this attachment are a recipe for disaster , your word is certainly not the problem,it purely is in the design of those arches. In Palladio's work he stresses the need for the abutments at the ends of arches to be at least equal to the span of the arches. His reasons are both from the aesthetics and structural perspectives. The aesthetics is purely subjective,the structural is empirical. The abutments adjacent to an arch have to have the ability to resist the thrust of the arch. They designed very shallow arches on both sides of a column that is outright puny,in my wildest imagination I could never call that column an abutment. I will bet anyone a dollar to a donut that in short order cracks will develop in that design and eventually complete failure will result.

I see it so very often in this country it would make your head swim. Designers have become so used to steel lintels that they are clueless in the correct protocol of arch design.

In this country they design 16' garage door openings with a shallow arch and if lucky a 2' return on both sides and then are amazed that the arch is cracking and collapsing :laughing: Then they have the audacity to point the finger at the mason.

Just my .02 .

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Just from quickly looking at it I would hope that column was poured with steel. Although I see everything now as needing to be poured with steel in it. It is load bearing, something better be in there.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the columns are poured concrete14 in. by 14 in. with enough rebar that would make you laugh,
housing construction here is all concrete and rebar. only carpentry here is for the forms for the concrete.
I just lay around it.
the brick are all cut "L" about 1 ¼in. wide.
their expensive to lay. I also cut L shape the bricks for the arch and run rebar thru that too.
I will post A-Z picts of the next job

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
the columns are poured concrete14 in. by 14 in. with enough rebar that would make you laugh,
housing construction here is all concrete and rebar.

In that case they will stand without trouble. The engineered design will work. If it was an attempt to claim it was empirical design it would have failed miserably. The column still looks puny,insubstantial and out of proportion imho. The workmanship looks great though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts