Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my OWN house which is all stone except the back which is redwood(built in 1924) I have nail head rusting. I spent days a couple years ago counter sinking the nails, priming the nail heads with Kilz,(I think),spackling(exterior),sanding and painting. Of course the nail heads are coming back out and rusting. What do I need to put on the nail heads to lock down the rust? Rustolium? My old mind is drawing a blank and the wife is none to happy either. Thanks.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ProWallGuy said:
I like what wild bill told you on the other site. Using the rust remover, or even go as far as drilling out the head, and using Crawford's to spackle over.
I am going to try the inhibitor but drilling about 500 nail heads? I don't think so, besides they just work there way out and I already spent HOURS pounding them in and spackling with Crawfords.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You can try a converter such as Naval Jelly or Ospho (my favorite). It converts the iron oxide (rust) to another compound (I forget). It will also turn the rust black so you may want to try this option in a low visability spot just to check your application method and results prior to continuing on with the rest of the house. A syringe or artists brush is where I would start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
chris n said:
On my OWN house which is all stone except the back which is redwood(built in 1924) I have nail head rusting. I spent days a couple years ago counter sinking the nails, priming the nail heads with Kilz,(I think),spackling(exterior),sanding and painting. Of course the nail heads are coming back out and rusting. What do I need to put on the nail heads to lock down the rust? Rustolium? My old mind is drawing a blank and the wife is none to happy either. Thanks.

Chris

re: rusty nailheads

Worked on a hotel on the Oregon coast where rust never sleeps and the ocean side wall takes a constant beating from driving rain and saltwater.
It was 3 stories and 2 guys spent a week resetting nailheads then used a rust converter. then caulked all the nailheads instead of using a exterior spackling compound. No sanding!!! Stay away from Vulcom as it is messy & will leave "shiners"
We then sprayed and back brushed 2 coats. It lasted 8 years before fading. No rust showed thru during that period.
Yes it is labor intensive but one can not short change prep as it will bite you back.

Good luck

swordlnr

lasted 8 years before fading

1 - 9 of 9 Posts