Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm starting with a new company and they put me in charge of some of the punchout items. I want to do a good job and impress my boss. One of the tasks assigned to me is the rust and corrosion on the doors. The specs call out the doors be Metallic-caoted steel sheet with A60 coating/galvanized finish and the hardwares selected were SS. I've attached some pics to support. Any ideas on what might have caused this, and/or how to remediate?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Any way water getting in from the outside? Through the exterior of the lock? Or maybe one of the seals in the window is allowing water to find its way to the lower corners of that inside lock.
I'd start outside first.

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
Once you cut through galvanized steel, it starts rusting in the cut edge. If you damage the coating when you install the hardware, it will start rusting there as well.

Stainless steel in contact with regular steel makes the regular steel rust faster.

Hardware like that usually let's a small amount if aur penetrate into the inside space. High humidity outside and AC inside can result in condensation on the inside if the side you show, making rust happen faster. Rain penetration does the same thing.

·
Contractor
4,643 Posts
and it may have been left out in the elements during the prep work which allowed the rust to get hold...then there's nothing to stop it from growing.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
looks like a piss poor install & material handling.

as Austin DB said the door looks well worn.

two remedies:

get a new door

or

pull that one, have the rust treated and have it refinished with epoxy.

·
Registered
17,192 Posts
The coating was damaged letting the water and air get to the metal. This will cause rust. We wax our cars to keep the rust away. It's too late for that door and I would go with what Griz said.:thumbsup:

Reactions: boileredup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your inputs. I do agree that a replacement would be the easiest option. I am wondering, however, if there's something out there that would serve as a barrier between the two dissimilar metals. I assume the rust is due to two dissimilar metals making contact - if I put some type of gasket or thin barrier, sandblast and refinish would be a feasible option?

·
Contractor
4,643 Posts
paint is the suitable barrier. Sherwin Williams has a great paint for metal doors-think it's called DTM (Direct To Metal).

I've used a rust converter on prepped metal-ie once the surface is grinded down with an abrasive disc, prep then paint. wiping the surface down before paint application is sometimes missed by those in a hurry to get to the end.

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
Paint works. The only thing is some of the plates can have a sharp edge, so when they get installed, they scrape paint off. The harder and better bonding the paint is, the better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I opened up the plate to take a closer look and it looks like it's rusting pretty heavy around the edges of that plate on the door. All of the inside mechanism is pretty corroded as well, to the point where I cannot even turn the lock. I'm wondering if this had anything to do with cutting edges and not priming/painting afterwards. Thoughts/remediation? Thanks all in advance, love the helpfulness and know-how of this group.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
looks like a real hack job on the install. & it sure looks like it's been there awhile.

Is that supposed to be a galvanized door & what ga metal?

Also need exterior grade hardware.

a good painter could fix it, but it's a lot of work.

wire wheel the rust, sand the door, treat with rust converter then epoxy paint...

PS- i have also seen a gasket under the exterior side of the lockset.

but if the rust is also on the inside (VERY LIKELY) fix won't last long.

IMO, replace the door & have it factory prepped for the lockset it will save you doing it later...

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
4,913 Posts
What kind of facility is this in?

It appears to be some type of industrial plant?

Depending on what they are doing in there, rust/corrosion could be a recurring problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
What kind of facility is this in?

It appears to be some type of industrial plant?

Depending on what they are doing in there, rust/corrosion could be a recurring problem. :thumbsup:
The door opens out and they prop it open in the rain.

The gasket is a very thin nylon sheet which extends past the plate by about 1/32" it works very well but not in a rain storm. Its for isolation not waterproofing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What Griz said but will add: that is not how a door is suppose to be machined (on site or factory) I guess they had grinder wheels but no hole saws or uni-bits. You can find the machining templates on line on the hardware manufactor website. When we modify HM doors and frames, we get the supplier to send us a spray can of the galvanize coating to hit the raw metal before we install the hardware.

That door looks like it's rusting from the inside out, top to bottom. Is there a drip cap above the door?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts