Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Rust in fuel tanks

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Moxley-Kidwell 
#1 ·
We bought a used cat paver a few months back and there is a bunch of rust in the fuel tank. Our paver operator keeps the tank full as much as possible to try to prevent a bigger issue. Hasn't caused a problem with the machine or fuel filters yet, but want to address it before that happens. Anyone every had to deal with this much? I'm trying to get some kind of plan together before we get into all the winter maint. In the shop. You guys are the first I'm turning to, haven't done any research yet.

#2 ·
Most fuel systems draw an inch or two off the bottom so more than likely it'll be fine. On the other hand, being a paving machine, should it go down in the middle of a job would be a real problem. If it were me, and the tank isn't that big of a job to remove, I'd either have it cleaned/checked out, or replace it.

#3 ·
I've taken tanks off and power washed them out, old farts said to put gravel in them and shake around. both of these require removing tank and cleaning/drying very well.

I currently have a loader with visible rust in the tank, I just change the fuel filter every 30 - 40 hours (It sits at a stock pile most of the time).

#7 ·
This is a big concern and the main reason I want to start to get a plan together early! Been there and done that, paver quits with half the hopper full sucks. We do have a second paver though, wouldn't totally screw us. Not that it would make a difference at the time though as it would be unlikely to be at that specific job, would just turn into a emergency for our lowboy driver.

#5 ·
We'll def do something with it in the next few months. It's a high hour machine and we took delivery and put it straight to work. We'll get it in the shop and go over it good when we can't pave anymore this winter, just didn't know if anyone has a good solution, coating or something that worked well for them. At the least we'll take them off and try to clean them up good.

#8 ·
I bought a used excavator with 8,000 hr and I took the tank off and cleaned it out the best I could in the shop than put it back on. Depending on the way the filters are set up a good cleaning there can make a big difference too.
I did the same with the hydraulic tank except I also changed the in tank screen. I could not believe it. The screen had never been changed and it was ready to disintegrate and spread through the system. :eek: FYI the fuel hose was so brittle that I grabbed it and it broke in half. All that stuff wasn't that expensive but It sure made me feel better about the reliability of my machine.

#14 ·
How do you know there is loose rust in the tank?

Again, a radiator shop can flush and clean the tank, otherwise your fuel filters show catch any debris coming throough the fuel supply lines. On our truck, it was getting a limited amount of fuel through the clogged filter. The injection pump/lift pump would try to pull more fuel than could flow through the filter that it would starve itself and shut down. I didn't flush the tank, but changed the fuel filter and water separator filter and cleaned the screen at the lift pump. She's running like a raped ape again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.