Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a remodel of a 3 bedroom apartment unit a Chicago brick/limestone building built in the late 1800's. I noticed that some of the smaller original electrical, gas, and plumbing lines were run through a space above the floor joists but below the finished floor; basically slightly notched into tops of joists and sitting in gaps between the 1" subfloor planks. I need to run an electrical line through the bathroom to feed a circuit and I'm thinking about using that original channel. It would just be one run of 1/2" emt for 10'. My other options aren't really ideal. What do you think?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, in Humboldt Park. Not replacing all electrical, but definitely scrapping all the old cloth wire BX and a bunch of other slop that was installed over the last 50 years

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Yummy Puerto Rican food out there! Are the carts out yet?

Back to the OP, I have done a ton of work in Chicago and seen it all. I have seen that quite a bit. I am assuming that this isn't permitted? I would go for it. I know I'll probably get flamed, but...

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Can't be permitted, only a Chicago licensed electrician can obtain an electrical permit in Chicago. Not even the homeowner can obtain an electrical permit in Chicago.

Tom

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Can't be permitted, only a Chicago licensed electrician can obtain an electrical permit in Chicago. Not even the homeowner can obtain an electrical permit in Chicago.

Tom
I am well aware how things work in Chicago. I have worked in every part and most of downtown.

We had another electrician pull permits while my business partner studied for the exam. Never had a problem. They would pull the permit, we paid a consultant fee, he inspected our work and called for the inspection. The inspectors never said boo.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts

Tom
Correct. My electrical license is reciprocal and valid in every single AHJ in Illinois EXCEPT in Chicago city limits. They've got their own system. No thanks anymore. I hate working in the city anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts