Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last month working 7 days a week. I've worked my 40 hours and then here at the house, then on the weekends I've either been at the mother in laws, or my mothers fixing, building, or reparing something, and in between heading out to other family and friends to price, quote, and field measure for something they want me to build or give them a second opinion on a quote they have gotten from a G.C. or Handyman that the considereed hiring. I'd say I need a weekend for mysdelf, but I think a month would be better.LOL. I know I can't be the only one. I know what I'm gonna here if I asked what you fellas do to relax after months like this, but keep in mind I don't drink anymore, and after this last month, I'd be in full swing again, and that is not a good place to go back to. Thought about hunting, but nothing's ready to shoot. Fishing, not to many places that you can eat what you catch, and I'm not real big on fishing anyway. What's left?

Just had to gripe a little, didn't help to much. Maybe I'll go run through the neighborhood naked. Probably won't help me any, but I'm sure to make someone's day. LOL.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
About two months ago this was me then my body started to reject work. I came down with a cold that forced me to take 2 days off work.

Honestly every time I fall into a groove of 12 hour days 7 days a week my immune system shuts down and I have to take a few days off... either that or I have a break down and lose my temper.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hi Board, I'm in almost the same position but am wondering where you get off with 40 hr. wks.?
It's 12:30 AM here and I'm just fooling around, finally. I'll be out the door again at 7. I'm booked through Oct. and turning down work daily. I raised my rates and just got a different class of people, all willing to wait in line.
My 'vacation ' consists of my daughters grduation, in Boston. Which also happens to be where my current wife is from and I'm garranteed a whirlwind tour of someplace that I'd rather not be. Yippiiee.
I'll find time to go to the Bahamas, by myself, later.
Sorry that you don't like fishing or hunting, those are my only other escapes, even if they are only in theory.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Same here guys;

Roll out of bed at 4:00 AM check messages, make sure stock is on sites from day befores orders. At least its not -40oF that was hell for us, we were running 24-7 for weeks on end trying to get things back in order.

From the first week of January to the first week of Febuary I was takeing in on the avarge of 65 calls for service a day, my frigging phone bill alone was over $2500.00.

Now at least the calls are more in line at around 15-20 a day and most of those are "Tire Kickers" wanting a price on something or other.

No I cannot take a few weeks at a time off, so I pull a long weekend or a day off mid week golf, fish or whatever.

Customers just have to wait, I am not going to kill my self over a few missed calls.

Funny thing how some people just cant wait just because you are on a vacation, ask them how many weeks they get a year you would be suprised just how many get 3-4 weeks they have to take or they lose them.

Just imagin guys, we HAVE to take 3-4 weeks off or we will lose it!!

My 2cents
Bernie
Tyngs Ent Ltd

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I need to get a vacation soon too. My builder I aquired has taken up a big portion of my time, and of course all the work with my big family I have day in and day out makes me a bit tired, but luckily fishing is real good and real close...that helps.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I take off 1 week every two years, at least until I met my girl friend. My girl freind wants to go on vacation every year and I told her she's gonna have to go alone or with her other boyfriend, I like work too much. I'm still trying to figure out how to get out of my honey moon, I mean SHEESH we just went on vacation 5 months ago!

My escape? I drink on the weekends and go to school on the week days. Honestly I really really like money. ALOT.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, the only reason I get away with just 40 is they don't want to pay the overtime. Smart on their part, because my OT alone will pay 3 guys normal pay.

What I want to know is how Grumpy gets to get away with a vacation once every 2 years. The last time I was on vacation I was still in high school, and the it was the family trip to Ca. It's been over 14 years since then.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Board, my last 'vacation' was about 9 yrs. ago. We went to Elbo Key in the Bahamas for almost a week. As you know, I am not adverse to taking 4 day weekends to the Keys and I get the yacht deliveries. Not exactly a vacation but a 'lay low' time. I also get a lot of local fishing oppotunities, the beach and surf fishing. I'm gearing up for hunting season, maybe life's not so bad if you don't get those 2 wks. in a row or can do it if you want to.
Theoreitcally, I could retire but I'm just having too much fun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think maybe it was the 100+ degree heat we were having, I spent the last 2 days here inthe house after work, and I feel a hell of a lot better. I could still go for a vacation, but I haven't gone completely mental, YET. But huntimg sure sounds nice. This time of year about the only thing that could be hunted is wabbits. Unfortunatly, the farmers have been using so much pesticides over the last few years, you can taste it in the meat, and the rabbits have been developing diseases as of late. Dove and quail season is coming up soon. A pure delicacy. Althought i am going to go up north this summer, head back to Iowa for the 4th of July, and make a out of the way scheduled stop to see SAR41 in Wy. That ought to be a blast.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Board, all we get here are little, stringy, wormy swamp rabbits. NFG! Get a lot of doves close to home and don't have to travel too far for some excellent quail. I just picked up a nice Fox side by side in 16 GA and can't wait to put it through the paces.
I hope that you are going for something larger in WY. I've always wanted to hunt mulies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts