Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be working with the electrician next week to help him get caught up and I need to sharpen my sparking abilities.

let's see...just to warm up I'll start with...

1. Dishwasher needs to have it's own dedicated circuit

2. bath rooms needs it's own dedicated...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,472 Posts
So far, you're batting .000.

·
Super Moderator
24,084 Posts
You usually need a main breaker.
Most lights operate from a switch, unless you choose an occupancy sensor.
GFI receptacles are required around wet applications.

ETC, ETC.:whistling

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Just do a basic inspection of his work. Things I've seen electricians mess up on are:
- Bury splices inside a wall
- Miss wire a 240volt connection
- Put switches in upside down
- Not follow plans

Check his work as he goes, so you are not paying another electrician to come in and fix his mistakes later.

If you are helping him do some of the work yourself, make sure you cut the wires the appropriate length sticking out of the box. Things I see a lot of DIY electricians do is make the wires stick way too far out, which is against code. Then they are jambing the wires inside the box. Code is to make the wires stick out three inches from the face of the box if I remember right.

·
Electrical Contractor
94 Posts
hot on the left, cold on the right, chit don't run uphill, pay days friday, bossman is a sob, and if you do service work don't bite your fingernails.
:thumbsup:

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I'll be working with the electrician next week to help him get caught up and I need to sharpen my sparking abilities.

let's see...just to warm up I'll start with...

1. Dishwasher needs to have it's own dedicated circuit

2. bath rooms needs it's own dedicated...

I hope you do better on numbers 3 thru 500. :whistling

·
jack of all trades
141 Posts
code run down

D/W does not require dedicted circuit.
bathroom requires ded circuit for receptical ( 20 amps) although that ded circuit can supply more than one bathroon provide recepticals only- or that dedicated circuit can supply everything in the bathroom but must be dedicated solely to that bathroom

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are helping him do some of the work yourself, make sure you cut the wires the appropriate length sticking out of the box. Things I see a lot of DIY electricians do is make the wires stick way too far out, which is against code. Then they are jambing the wires inside the box. Code is to make the wires stick out three inches from the face of the box if I remember right.

Thanks for the input.
I'm pretty sure local codes allow 8 inches sticking out of the box. But then again I've heard we're on the 'good ol boy' system. What's wrong with sticking them 8 inches out? The excess will be removed as soon as drywall is up. You can always cut the wires back to appropiate length- making them grow is a different story.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,472 Posts
Thanks for the input.
I'm pretty sure local codes allow 8 inches sticking out of the box. But then again I've heard we're on the 'good ol boy' system. What's wrong with sticking them 8 inches out? The excess will be removed as soon as drywall is up. You can always cut the wires back to appropiate length- making them grow is a different story.
This scares me, and I'm fearless.

·
Wood Butcher
977 Posts
300.14 Length. of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions,
and Switch Points.​
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free
conductor, measured from the point in the box where it
emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at
each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the
connection of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to
an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 rom
(8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough

to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I as well as others have seen drywallers shorten our wires for us, not worth fussing over. Let your electrician worry about code, if his inspection fails then it is him on the line. If he is not competent then find someone else.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,472 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
oops! Dishwasher needs to have a dedicated circuit with the exception that it can be shared with the garbage disposal, right?.
NO, nowhere does it say a DW must be a dedicated circuit. There are sections that deal with fixed in place appliances though.

It is common to see a DW and disp on a shared 20A circuit.

I am still unclear as to just what it is you want to know. Do you want us to run down the hundreds of tedious codes involved with the simple job of wiring a house? If so I hope someone else is up to the task because I am not.
I know the codes, I just don't feel like typing them. Hell, I don't even feel like copying and pasting. :turned:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
when I spoke of codes, I was referring to codes of ethics. why would you not dedicate a circuit for your DW? Anything else just seems on the wrong side of stupid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.