Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
UBCguy brings up a good point. Recycle everything you can, it has value. HM frames, studs, ceiling tile, light fixtures, voice/data cable, even carpet can be recyled in most areas of the country.

Most interior commercial projects, the drywall is stood up, you can remove the drywall in full sheets as opposed to cutting between studs like UBCGuy mentions. Remove one side then use the claw of the hammer or a flat bar between the stud and the back of the sheet to pop off the other side. Usually quicker and less dusty than cutting the rock into smaller peices. If you're careful not to bend up the studs, they can be reused. Remove the drywalls screws from the studs before dismantling the frameing.
I look for production on demo jobs. not time for trying to reuse studs or remove drywall whole. I cut it up, stack on pallets, put it on the elevator and take it to the dumpster

·
Noob
243 Posts
I like to take walls down with an axe(not the sharp side), lighter than a sledge and losens studs/screws as you swing. Drop the bottom half of the sheet then drop the top, bang each stud at the bottom and push the other side down whole. Clears a row of officies real quick like.

Guy behind comes with a cart and picks up the rubble, guy behind him gets the studs, guy behind him drops grid and wire tires, clean up guy again, then me back through getting electrical and other small crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are some rules of thumb for demo work??
A. Haul out schedule will make or break it.
B. $6-8 per sq ft
C. Safety safety safety. Full PPE, no exceptions!

Q: Why put safety last? Shouldn't it be first?
A: No. You run the business and let a supervisor put safety first. That way you only have to deal with chewing out one ass in the trickle down.

·
Registered
218 Posts
-Smash everything in sight.
-Use your body as a wrecking ball.
-Asbestos is a myth.
-Always wash the electrical panel down with a pressure washer at the end of the day.
-Cut all copper pipe, and wires in sight.
-If something goes wrong, I like to use the phrase, "it was like that when I got here."

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.