Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me apologize, as I know this has been asked before. I just can't find the answer. I have primed (zinssers 123) the ceiling in two rooms. First room is still showing a dull beige look. I also stripped the trim to bare wood, then primed. It also has a brownish color. The trim is old , (100 yrs) prob yellow pine, at least looks like it. Is there a good rule as to know when to double prim, or you just kinda know? I don't want to add work, but don't want bleed thru. Topcoat is val spar on ceiling and benj moore regal on trim.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Let the 123 dry thoroughly overnight, not just dry to the touch, then hit some areas with some latex paint to see if the stains have been locked in.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
If you put the primer on too thick it tends to pull whatever you are trying to block to the surface, especially with oil based primers. Two light coats is better than one heavy coat. Even with the water based, you may still see the stain, but it will be locked into the primer and won't bleed through. Primer isn't a paint, the wall doesn't have to be perfectly white, you just want a nice clean surface.

Not positive if the same thing applies to water based, as I always have a can of oil based Cover Stain or Kilz if I am needing to cover some really nasty stuff. I usually use water based only as a surface prep, or to cover non bleeding wood and prepainted metals.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, help. About 12 yr ago I sprayed a popcorn ceiling that "looked" white. Then glittered it. The next day big yellow spots bleed thru. I painted it. Then ho asked where her glitter was. Gliter won't stick to just paint. Lol. I then had to respray the ceiling enough to get the glitter to stick. Ever since then I have been crazy with primer. I want it WHITE.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
In my experience, Zin123 does not cover very well, it can still show a lot of telegraphing or bleeding. The Benjamin Moore Fresh Start oil primer works good if you think it will be a problem area, kind of a pain to work with but it works well, blocks everything out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
glitter? I bet you had that crap in your pockets, car etc... forever lol

glitter cannot be created, nor destroyed.
Yeah, my daughters loved my glittered hair:jester:. Everybody in that area wanted popcorn and glitter. Glad that's over. Although, popcorn does hind everything.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
First let me apologize, as I know this has been asked before. I just can't find the answer. I have primed (zinssers 123) the ceiling in two rooms. First room is still showing a dull beige look. I also stripped the trim to bare wood, then primed. It also has a brownish color. The trim is old , (100 yrs) prob yellow pine, at least looks like it. Is there a good rule as to know when to double prim, or you just kinda know? I don't want to add work, but don't want bleed thru. Topcoat is val spar on ceiling and benj moore regal on trim.
Kilz(oil) it! :thumbsup:
Latex really doesn't block stains very well. :no:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Pigmented white shellac... for bad bleed through.Read the can.... can't remember all the manufacturers fancy ass names for it.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I had a problem with a Zinsser latex primer and I called the co. to see about a refund. They said primer takes 7 days to fully cure, after 7 days then you can paint over with out having stain bleed through.
The sent me a check.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Yep, I always have a spray can of the cover stain or the shellac primer for those really bad spots.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you see it in the BIN, it probably will bleed. A test isn't a bad idea, but it isn't infallible.
If you see it (stains?) after applying BIN, the wood was probably not cured before installation and knotholes that will never seal up. BIN is the last measure for me for sealing stains if I can help it. It's a challenge for painters getting success with water based stain killers. Companies are improving water based stain killers, but they're not quite there yet.

Spraying BIN is nasty, in enclosed areas. I had a double filter respirator spray mask. I sprayed inside too long. I had to go outside and sit down and get over the dizziness, then go back in.

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
I've had very limited success with 123, I also called the company with issues and was told 7 days minimum and up to 21 before it will do what it claims to do. I have 2 gallons for sale...cheap

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I've had very limited success with 123, I also called the company with issues and was told 7 days minimum and up to 21 before it will do what it claims to do. I have 2 gallons for sale...cheap
If you have the receipt they will give you a refund.

Who is going to wait 7 days?????:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts