Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Folks,

In March we got out fixer upper... in that timeframe I have gone through at least 4 sets of gloves. Most of the time they come from Lowers or Home Despot, usually something along the lines of the all-leather Wells Lamont or somesuch.

I seem to wear holes in them on all to regular a basis. Particularly through the finger ends.

I'd be willing to pay twice what I am paying or maybe more for a very rugged set of work gloves that retain some level comfort and flexibility.

Do any of you have any suggestions for something so basic or am I asking too much and am getting about the wear I should out of these things?

Thanks!
Charles

·
Registered
56 Posts
works for me may work for you ...
the first thing i do with a new pair of gloves is cut the finger tips off.
then get a pair of those type of gloves that have the rubber coating on the fingers and the palm put them on first then the good leathers and you get the best of both durability and control .when you wear out the tips get new liners whole lot cheaper and you dont have to buy the leathers for a longer time

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Well, you can spend $30 on a pair of gloves that will last you 4 months or you can spend 30 dollars on 30 pairs of leather gloves at Toolking @ $.99 each and wear them till you wear them all out over 2 years.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOLY MAGOO! (not the words I used for real...

61 bucks for those! :) Too rich for my blood... but they did have a 30 dollar set that looked like something I'd consider. Gonna look for that brand a few places and see about trying some on... Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for the tip!

I just hate it when i get a pair of gloves nice and broken in and then notice that I've ot a hole here or there... growl

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
That's the real bummer with cheap gloves, just about the time they start getting comfy, they blow out and you have to start all over again. The new, high dollar gloves last longer, breathe better and shed paint and concrete without washing.
I buy top dollar and I think that my newest pair is about 4 yrs. old. My anti-vibe gels are over 10 yrs., to date $3.60 a year and well broken in. Comfy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
gloves

I love those deer-hide ranching gloves, but they don't last past coffee break. I once heard that javelina (collared pecarrey sp?) hide is just as thin and pliable as deer, but MUCH tougher in terms of wear and have even heard of javelina gloves existing somewhere. It would make sense considering their terrain. I've been on the lookout for a set of javelina gloves for a couple years now to try out. If anyone hears or sees them, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tim

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
If you want to give a quality impression to a customer, put an old pair of worn out socks on your hands.

Bob
LOL- a couple of thumb holes will give them a 'classy' touch :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts