Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we are getting closer to finishing the floors. Three months later. Sheesh. I figured I'd start a new thread, rather than revisit my older ones.

Floor is a mixture of 1930's fir and oak, depending on the room. We will be drum sanding and bleaching out a few black stain areas if needed.

Anyway, I was leaning towards the Rubio Monocoat. Like I said earlier, I am a total rookie when it comes to floors. How user or dare I say DIY friendly is the Monocote system?

Also, how different will any color we choose look on the oak and fir. They change right in the middle of the house to separate the Front room and the Dining room. Not that it matters too much, I just would like to know what to expect.

How much coverage can I actually expect. My folks are gifting us the floor finishing material costs, so it is a one shot to buy it deal and I don't want to be short. Is there any product that works as well, but costs less?

I am leaning towards the Monocote system because we will have lots of pets, dirt, gravel driveway, etc. So I want an easy to maintain/repair system. Is Rubio the best one in this instance as well?

Thanks and any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Well, we are getting closer to finishing the floors. Three months later. Sheesh. I figured I'd start a new thread, rather than revisit my older ones.

Floor is a mixture of 1930's fir and oak, depending on the room. We will be drum sanding and bleaching out a few black stain areas if needed.

Anyway, I was leaning towards the Rubio Monocoat. Like I said earlier, I am a total rookie when it comes to floors. How user or dare I say DIY friendly is the Monocote system?

Also, how different will any color we choose look on the oak and fir. They change right in the middle of the house to separate the Front room and the Dining room. Not that it matters too much, I just would like to know what to expect.

How much coverage can I actually expect. My folks are gifting us the floor finishing material costs, so it is a one shot to buy it deal and I don't want to be short. Is there any product that works as well, but costs less?

I am leaning towards the Monocote system because we will have lots of pets, dirt, gravel driveway, etc. So I want an easy to maintain/repair system. Is Rubio the best one in this instance as well?

Thanks and any insight would be much appreciated.
Color questions will be best answered by doing a swatch on each next to each other..yes it will vary, but not too much.it should complement eachother.

any oil "finish" will have easy repair properties.

You can do the rubio your self but you should have help..work in small systematic sections..dont rush as it will set on you.

the beauty of it is grain direction ,start points etc wont matter.but working systematically will.

keep it simple.

I dont know how big the rooms are.

but if you wok in say 30 sf sections you will be fine with 2 people.

just go in columns.
then on your way out you back right out the door

wax on wax off...that is all you are doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.