Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my customers used a steam mop and ruined her white Rubio finish to the extent that the floors are almost black in some spots. I have been back a forth for months with her and Rubio and to make a long story short she accepts no blame and I have to fix the floors free of charge. The floors can not be refinished anymore and have to be either touched up with Rubio then topcoated with a waterbase or I was thinking of staining with a Dura Seal country white and then apply two coats of finish. The floors were done over 12 months ago. She does not want to use Rubio again. Anyone have any useful suggestions? Thank you

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I've always been skeptical of the monocoat. Just seems like very little protection for the wood. Lots of profit (only coating once) also means lots of arguments (this doesn't last! you tricked me).

That said, steam mop on a wood floor is all on her. It's like I bought a new car and washed it with pumice and then went to the dealership expecting a new car for free? Uh, no you're an idiot.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
don't be a pushover.its great product only requiring that maintenance/cleaning be done with their recommended products.they produce plenty of literature on their products/cleaners and maintenance oils..i always grab a bunch form my supplier and hand them to any customer i do Rubio for..they can never come back at me..its all there

bottomline..we all want to take care fo our customers,but you are no a slave or an a$$hole for them..
she banged it up..she pays to fix.

the fix is easy..but unless you do the exact sanding sequence, atr the right angle or lighting you will see the different prep however color will match perfectly.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I have to fix the floors free of charge.
Unless you told her she could use a steam mop on it (and she has it in writing), you're not liable for the damage. Or there's more to this story. Rubio is an excellent product, IMO. I've only used it twice, but I've seen a few other floors and they're holding up great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I am going to apply a floor paint over the floor as she does not want to use Rubio again. I have never used a floor paint before, so hopefully it wont be another disaster. Any floor paint suggestions?

At the moment I am only a two person crew and couldn't afford a lawyer. I also feel bad that the finish failed so bad even though the steam mop was the reason. I never told her to use a steam mop and actually gave her the rubio satin soap to maintain her floors.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Id screen to make sure it sticks. Glidden water base at home depot is decent. Armorseal from sherwin is a little bit better in its water based forumlation, but if you can clear her out for an oil based floor paint the glidden oil from home depot is very durable once cured. I would plan on two coats for coverage or one coat tinted bonding primer and one coat finish.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Id screen to make sure it sticks. Glidden water base at home depot is decent. Armorseal from sherwin is a little bit better in its water based forumlation, but if you can clear her out for an oil based floor paint the glidden oil from home depot is very durable once cured. I would plan on two coats for coverage or one coat tinted bonding primer and one coat finish.
With a business name like gogreen flooring, you think you can convince him to use oil?:laughing: That stuff is the debil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! It will probably be a water based floor paint as the customer will
Probably living there and will have to do the job in sections. Might try the Gildden at depot or lowes brand looks good too.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! It will probably be a water based floor paint as the customer will
Probably living there and will have to do the job in sections. Might try the Gildden at depot or lowes brand looks good too.
dude you are F'n Crazy..you are going to make a bad situation worse.

fix the spots...then put waterbase finish over it.. i wouldn't do a damn thing and why are you worried about court? if it went down the way you said then its not your issue..

i know it says to only use their cleaner right on their can...

and if you want to be the sap pushover dont take me to court Im scared guy tell them to get all their freaking furniture out..that you will come once only not multiple times

how soon after application did she do this with the cleaner? did you use the 2C catalyst?that requires 7 days to cure otherwise the product will take 30 days+

im serious man, you are heading down a dark road going in to paint the floor

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
^^^ What he said! ^^^

There will be multiple problems painting this floor in sections. You'll be making so many trips to do it that way, that something WILL get damaged/get paint on it because now you have been there 5 times, the client is STILL pissed off at you, and now you're getting pissed at her (It's always a 'her' :laughing:). Plus painted floors really need a clear coat for durability.

If it was me, I wouldn't be afraid of being taken to court over this. If you haven't omitted any facts (Like you DID tell her the proper cleaning techniques?), you should be able to win and counter-sue for damages/attorney fees. Talk to an attorney. Most will give you a 15-20 minute consultation for $100 or so, and many are free if you're suing someone.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have to agree with the others.. As it stands now you are not liable for fixing her floors at all whether it be for free or for pay. I understand that you always want to make everyone happy, but you have to realize this is not possible. Lots of people are just crazy. As the other guy said you could be making a bad situation (that's not your fault), into a problem that is your fault. If you paint that floors and she does not like it, the paint don't stick etc then you could be liable for this. I would tell her she shouldn't have used the damn steam mop and walk away..

·
Registered
148 Posts
For more security, to protect my a$$, since 2 yerars ago, I always put on my quote, the technic for the proper way for maintenance. With some extra writings on your quote, you are covered at 100% when things like that happen. Fortunately she explained the way she cleaned the floor.
Always write it on the quote. Most of the time I will send my quote by email, together with a link towards the website of the finish product. I just finished a monocaot floor, and received an email last night asking me the way to do the cleaning, I refer the lady to the quote, all is written on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts