Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that needs a new rubber roof put on right now it has been o degrees to 20 degrees does anyone no of a good product that will work in these temps

·
Registered
192 Posts
I swear on the glues it says not to use them when its under 50*F. I haven't read them in a while though. I would see what your manufacturer has written right on the glues for allowable temperatures during installation

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I do believe it is around 40-50 Degs is what is recommended, real world experience says 20-30's other then that flash times take way longer. Keep the glue warm 60+ deg's before using it. The sun plays a bigger part then actual temperature.

The primer is going to be worse...

Make sure everything has flashed off properly otherwise you will end up with a bubbly roof that looks like chit. If that does happen, don't mess with them most unless they are really big will go down by them self.

Nothing is really "recommended" is these temps...

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,886 Posts
I do believe it is around 40-50 Degs is what is recommended, real world experience says 20-30's other then that flash times take way longer. Keep the glue warm 60+ deg's before using it. The sun plays a bigger part then actual temperature.

The primer is going to be worse...

Make sure everything has flashed off properly otherwise you will end up with a bubbly roof that looks like chit. If that does happen, don't mess with them most unless they are really big will go down by them self.

Nothing is really "recommended" is these temps...
Yes...I spent $100 for fuel explaining the bubble thing a couple years back....just a couple small ones...hand sized, maybe 3....1 maybe a square ft. What a pain that was to explain to my contractor and homeowner. By spring they were gone and the membrane adhered down in those spots.

I always pick up the glue early in the winter and keep it near a heat register overnight. I also roll the can around for a while so it doesnt take much stirring in the am.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes...I spent $100 for fuel explaining the bubble thing a couple years back....just a couple small ones...hand sized, maybe 3....1 maybe a square ft. What a pain that was to explain to my contractor and homeowner. By spring they were gone and the membrane adhered down in those spots.

I always pick up the glue early in the winter and keep it near a heat register overnight. I also roll the can around for a while so it doesnt take much stirring in the am.

I keep mine upside down for a day or two before opening them so I don't have to try to scrape the bottoms and spill it everywhere. All of the solids are on the lid or top of the glue, just scrape the lid off and stir it up

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The upside down trick works great except when a jack ball turns one upside down that's been opened before. Duh....

·
Registered
192 Posts
The upside down trick works great except when a jack ball turns one upside down that's been opened before. Duh....
haha year ago when I was working for someone else we had a guy who was constantly high all day on the job, any time he left for coffee or materials, he smoked up. he loaded up the glues into the back of our e150 van in the morning, we stripped the roof, screwed down all the board and had him get the glue. he opened the back door and it poured all over the customers driveway. he didn't realize one was open and put them all in upside down. :laughing: it was great to watch him try to scoop it up quick and then figure out how to wash it off the driveway :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts