Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm a carpenter, & have only marginal knowledge of the myriad of flat roof systems.
My Columbus Ohio home has a very low-pitched porch roof that needs serious attention.
The roof is approx 10ft X 32ft including box gutters on three sides.

My intention is to strip the roof, but try to leave the box gutters intact. The box gutters are tar coated & leaky & will have to be lined with rubber too, but starting over from scratch on them seems overkill.
Aside from welding up ¼" plate steel, or poured concrete, what roofing material will hold up best to abuse?
Maintenance requires scaffold & ladders be placed on the roof to reach the exterior of the upper two floors.
I realize that there is no material that will take heavy abuse, but I'm wondering about repairs to whatever I choose.

All along, I have been thinking that a rubber roof would be installed.
After doing my research I find that liquid EPDM is available.
If I install new OSB & liquid EPDM, it seems to me that the surface would be resistant to the kind of abuse that I am foreseeing. Additionally, patching would seem to be a no brainer.

Question #1
Any pros or cons re liquid EPDM? I'm totally open to the fact that this system may be crappola.
Question #2
Would a traditionally installed sheet rubber roof be better for any reason, & if so, what is the best fastening system?
Question #3
I find that alternatives to sheet EPDM exist & fall into the category of "rubber roof". Is there a better rubber that can be easily DIY patched?
Question #4
Have you a better alternative to a rubber roof?

Thanks,
And, I take back all of those things I ever said about roofers.......

·
Blissfield Maintenance
45 Posts
epdm

If you are worryed about foot traffic the 90 mil epdm but i would still add new gutters .Or try a 2 ply mod bit system . but any way you go i would hire a competant roofer . ;)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
tar coated and leaky but you want to save them? Replace the gutters. If there will be foot traffic install traffic pads, sometimes called walk way pads.

Personally I'd do the modified bitumen system. I only do EPDM on demand. I'm just not comfortable warrantying them long term due to the fact that they are single ply.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have you considered some type of metal roof ,possibly 1"ss snap lock panels,this is very common on low pitch porch roofs ,i assume roof is a 2to 3 pitch.With a full ice and water sheild underlayment this not only leak proof but looks good as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do like the looks of standing seam roofing, however I will be recreating the original balustrade that was once on this 1890 porch roof. Therefore, nailing pads need to be incorporated into the new roof, & only a soldered system would be trustworthy if using a metal roof of any kind.

The pitch is only about 4" in 10ft, & I'm guessing that a standing seam system would leak due to Ohio snows.

I have decided that the box gutters will be replaced. I was dreading tearing out all of the nails that secure the old gutters onto the upper edge of the 5" crown molding that forms the outside of the gutter assembly.
We found that all the nails pulled out quite easily without damaging the molding.

I just spent some time reading up on Modified Bitumen Systems. There are so many varieties, that I think that I'll have to rely upon the experience of the chosen contractor to determine which Modified Bitumen system would be best on this roof.

Grumpy,
I Googled an old post from Jan 05 where you give the basics of the self stick vs torch methods. That info was quite helpful.

thanks all!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
When installing metal roofing on low slope roofs it is preferred to install a "flat panel" system and solder all seams. I do not use SS for low slope applications.

Thanks Les for the vote of confidence I will admit I have no idea what post you are talking about but my fingers are portals to my brain I never hesitate to make myself look intelligent ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts