1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I see it this way....they last in tire piles for as long as tires have been made.....the 1890's....thats a long time.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The problem with much of the rubber roofs, which aren't really rubber in most cases and really are a form of vinyl, are that they hold heat. Just like vinyl siding they need to move, and if they are nailed too close together or too tightly you are most definetlya ssured they will warp/curl just like vinyl siding "oil cans".

Will the actual true rubber shingles last? Perhaps. Only time will tell. Aaron those tires sitting in tire piles are experiencing some degredation, I am sure we can all agree. I know the tires on my 94 look like crap and if I don't replace them some time soon are going to pop, and I am not talking about the threads, but am talking about the side walls. Rubber, like all things, ages and degrades.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I wired a high end home once that had rubber tiles that looked very much like natural slates. For the price, I kinda wondered why the guy just didn't use real slates.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I think it will be a niche market for the eco- friendly type of customer. Of course it ages and weathers in the sun, but the rubber on the outside is going to weather the worst (like anything) while the ruber on the inside of your tires is still pretty darned good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts